Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Code 32 EGR UPDATE 10/19/06

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by Cricket, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Repetetive code 32 EGR problem.

3 seperate mechanics have diagnosed the system and say there is absolutely nothing wrong with the EGR at 75.00 per visit.

Well so much for the pros, got the damn code 32 again today after quick acceleration. I cannot shake this code 32, it's been a continuous problem for 2 months. No one can diagnose it and I am ready to give it up.

Anybody experience this before?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2006
  2. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Yep,

Been 2 years for me now and it's smog time and I don't pass. The shop manual give general causes for some of the codes - what kind of other engine malfunctions or wear can cause a code other than the sensor or part associated with the code being defective. It's broad and takes time to trouble shoot. I wish I kept track of what I checked so far ... I just got bogged down and stopped until now ... it won't pass smog.

I did the EGR valve and solonoid, I checked the numbers of both, apparently there are several different versions for each engine size, each year. Checked all my hoses for vacuum leaks, checked the air pump and associted valves.

I am now having my TBI rebuilt, the throttle shaft was leaking ... I figured I'd do the whole thing and cross that off the list.

Something that happened about 4 months ago, I started getting code 13, oxy sensor, also. I replaced that and still no change.

I'll let you know if the TBI rebuild helps, you let me know if you find a cure at your end.

Eric M.

3. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

The only other interesting thing I've come a cross has to do with a prom glitch. The ecm tells the EGR to open but doesn't give it enough time to open thus prompting a code 32.

I am not sure if you can "flash" an OBD 1 chip or not. Possibly you can use WINALDL to change the EGR response/delay time? :dunno:

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

As far as I'm aware you can't do anything to alter your stock chip. You need to change to an eeprom which is rewritable.
    If it is a 'chip'held problem you could try a different chip or more easily, a complete ecm out of someones truck.

5. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I'm convinced it's a time delay issue between the ECM signal and the EGR pintle operation. Today I tried something different. I pulled the factory EGR and put on an aftermarket GP Sorenson unit. There is a distinct difference in the pintle and vac feed of each.

The factory EGR has an extended pintle and a tiny pinhole vacuum feed. The Sorenson has a recessed pintle and a large vacuum feed. I tried to get it to pop the EGR code after swapping to the aftermarket part and couldn't get the code to come up. I'll have to do further testing but the initial run looked promising. If the aftermarket EGR is opening quicker it may eliminate the problem.

Time will tell.

6. Creek

Creek Registered Member

In the ECM switch table there is an EGR diagnostic enable bit. If this bit is set to 1, diagnostics are enabled and if it is set to 0, diagnostics are disabled. Winaldl cannot be used to change this bit or anything else. You must change it in the binary file and burn a new eprom. I have no idea how the ECM detects an error in the EGR system as there is no feedback to the ECM that I can find. I turned EGR diagnostics off on my 383 Blazer and a friends 496 CK. Problem solved.

David

7. 88-383

88-383 1/2 ton status

The stock chip can be erased if you have a black light. I converted my truck to flash with a Ziff socket.

KM

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

ECM watches for a difference from the MAP sensor when EGR is commanded. (it's a vacuum leak, MAP should change) No difference in MAP, code is thrown.

9. Creek

Creek Registered Member

Thanks Dorian. That makes sense. Mine is probably due to my intake maniflod.

David

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I had this exact same issue and after testing the EGR solenoid and finding that it worked properly i then resorted to replacing the EGR valve with a delco unit and problem is gone. :thumb:

11. 89K5guy

89K5guy 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem a couple of months ago.I replaced the EGR valve and no more SES light!:D

12. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Well bloody hell. The devil light is back. :doah:

I'm down to my last card which is to pull the manifold and look at the EGR passage. Will update when I get a peek.

13. 4X4HIGH

Replace the EGR with a GM delco unit and i'll bet your problem goes away. Don't try any other brand other than a Delco unit and also DO NOT buy the universal EGR either.

14. 89K5guy

89K5guy 1/2 ton status

Definitely DO NOT buy a universal EGR!!!!!I agree completely!I went to Auto Zone and took one look at their "universal":eek1: and I was headed for the door.
    The OEM may cost more but this is definitely a case of "you get what you pay for":D

15. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I've tried both Delco and aftermarket, one seemed like a temporary fix. The aftermarket unit made the truck run like crap on part throttle acceleration (surging) but never threw a code. The Delco runs great but throws a code at cruise. I finally went back to the Delco when it became clear the problem did not go away. I've replaced EGR,MAP, Vac lines, had it checked by 3 seperate mechanics to make sure there wasn't a flaw in my work, the EGR, or the ECM. The TBI manifold I installed was used. The only thing I failed to do was specifically check the EGR passage for carbon blockage before I put it on. I had it hot tanked at the machine shop and assumed that would clean everything out. I bet when I pull the manifold back off that passage is plugged. I've had the code 32 since the first day we fired it up. :doah:

16. southernspeed

Is there a possability the O2 sensor could be causing the same code to show up?

17. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

As far as I know the 02 sensor can not affect the EGR loop. Essentially you have vacuum to the EGR solenoid all the time. At cruise the ECM commands the solenoid to open and allow the vacuum to pass through to the EGR. The MAP gives pressure feedback to the ECM. If the EGR is plugged up or faulty there is no pressure change.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

If the 02 is involved it'd be new to me.

18. southernspeed

No you're right. Typing before i think properly.
    (Integrated EGR) Coolant temperature above the specified amount, EGR should be on.
    (Integrated EGR) EGR pintle position does not match duty cycle.
    Found this though. I didn't think about the temp sensor. Have you looked at that. (the ECM related one not your gauge one.)

19. 4X4HIGH

Are you sure the EGR solenoid is working correctly. You can hook up voltage across the terminals to hear if it clicks or not but that is only a partial test as the solenoid may not be opening far enough to allow enough vacuum to pass the valve. I was told by a good mechanic friend of mine that he has seen this in the past. I would replace the solenoid since it is only about $23.00. I could not believe that it was that cheap but it was.

20. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You could also hook a vac gauge up to the solenoid and drive around. If it "spikes" when EGR is commanded, it's working right.