Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

code 32 woes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jonny-K5, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

lately my truck's check engine light comes on when im putting down the freeway. comes on almost everytime i make my 20mile commute home. sometime it goes out after a couple minutes, sometimes stays on til i shut it off. light stays off if i restart. its always a code 32(faulty EGR) i had the EGR replaced about a year ago.
    i used to get a code 32 when putting around at high altitude.but only in the mountains, never at sea level. could the EGR valve gone bad already? or is there something else to look for. it was replaced at the dealer so im pretty sure it was a quality part.

whats the service life of a EGR valve? are they supposed to be replaced every 15k like sparkplugs?

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Code 32 tests

test egr... remove and put vacuum to it (hose to your mouth works) ...make sure its moving freely,,,if not replace.... try cleaning carbon out of it first... remember it has a bellows in it.. dont damage that
    if good test egr control module....
    use test thats found in haynes or chilton
    if good check wiring for shorts moving from egr control module towards firewall and the ecm
    if good conduct ecm test...

I doubt its the ecm... they usually last a lifetime...usually... the egr however can get carbonized and fail.... check it first... if you cant find the next tests post up and I will do my best to fill in the blanks

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem and also got the code 32 (EGR). I then found a website that said the code 32 was also for the knock sensor (can't remember where I saw that), anyway, I replaced my knock sensor and all was good. I'd be willing to bet that's the culprit.

4. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I had 2 codes in my 89, and one was a 32. I think I got rid of it when i went to replace the knock sensor. I ended only needing to replce the connection .. it looked like it was smacked by something and was fubar. So I spliced in a new connector, and all was well.

5. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

Remember, the EGR system in our old trucks ARE NOT controlled by the ECM computer.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

At least '88-91 they are. ('87 no proof, I still suspect yes, but show me a manual)

7. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

His profile states his blazer is an 89.

8. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

were did you find the conector for the knock sensos?

9. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

I have the original 1987 GMC service manuals and they clearly state the ECM controls the EGR vac solenoid.

10. J.R.

J.R. Guest

there is a memo from gm on false 32 codes. i want to say it has something to do with knock senser and torque converter senser.

11. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I got my connector at the dealer. It comes ready to splice in.

12. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

Thanks, How much was it?