Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

code 33- MAP too high after motor rebuild.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by y5mgisi, Dec 14, 2006.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

So i just rebuilt the motor in my truck(90 burban with 350) Its totally stock exept its bored .020 over, and has a diffrent(still very computer freindly). Now i have a code 33. According to this sighthttp://chevythunder.com/fuel%20injection%20troubleshooting%20pg%20a.htm#32 It means that the map is bad. I replaced it, and still no diffrence. Does anyone know if a valve staying open(as in being too tight) can cause this? I put a vacume gauge on it and it reads about 20in of vacume which tells me it dosnt have a vacume leak. The needle on the guage dosnt stay exactly in one spot but its pretty close.

The symptoms: Basicly only at idle, it will kinda run like it has a really big cam in it. smells like its running rich, then while driving it just dosnt quite feel like it has the off the line pep that it ought to. Though i have only got on it about 35% throttle sence the motor is so new. I dont know anyone have any ideas?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

3. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

no i took this from the chevy thunder sight to come to the conclusion the map was bad.

that link is confusing because it says to fix your rough idle problem before you go to the next step. I mean the rest of it makes total sence and i will deffintly do that stuff to see if that leads me to anyithng.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I interpret that to read that "yes" it is running incorrectly, (in your case, otherwise it idles fine and still has a code stored, therefore intermittent and "no") and you proceed under the "yes" section. But this should all be preceeded by a good visual inspection of course. Wires, hoses, etc.

You can't assume components are bad based on a code. One wire in an ECM connector can be loose and not making contact, and would show a code 33, it just means the ECM isn't seeing what it expects from that component, whether caused by that component or a result of another problem making that components readings incorrect for the engine conditions at the time.

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

that could very well be your problem right there, 90 Suburbans werent offered with TPI.

6. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Yes i am aware that they never had tpi, Mine has TBI of coarse. like i said its all stock. thats why i was only prett much using this portion of the quote,
    I bleive that TBI is a speed density setup, so i belive this statement applies to me. Im still not entirely sure whats up but i did test the MAP ground and its good. I think that even though i have almost 20" of vacume(or perhaps my vac. gauge is wrong) it might actually still have a vac. leak. But i'll test that theory more when i head up to the parts store and use there scan tool. Thanks for the help though so far dyeager535