Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Code 36

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by noahrob, Feb 19, 2007.

1. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

I searched for "code", "code 36" and "36" but didn't find anything...

I started my truck adn ran it for two days with no problem, but yesterday I got a code "36" which according to Chevythunder.com (the best site in the world) is:

Code 36- This code is related to the burn off relay failure. The ecm has failed to detect 12V on the black wire going back to ecm pin D12, when the relay is not energized. The most likely cause is a open black wire or orange power wire going back to a fusible link to the battery. If this code is present with codes 33 and 34, again as mentioned before, check all the connections and wiring.

I checked the wires, wiggled this, wiggled that...everything looked good, so I cleared the code. The truck started, but just barely (I think this is an unrelated issue with fuel) and viola no light...Becuase I beleive the MAF Burnoff relay only comes into play once in a while, I started the truck and truned it off almost 20 times in a row...still no light.

So, here is my question(s).
    1) Does the MAF burn off circut only turn on once in a while? what triggers it?

2) Anybody else ever get a code 36? Did you replace the relay?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

3. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

Wow, what a great link. Thanks...I'll follow it and see if I can't figure out where the short is...

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I had a MAF error shortly after I got mine put together and running. Chased it and chased it, followed the GM manual flow chart for a long time, didn't get anywhere, problem kept coming back.

Come to find out, the connector on the ECM wasn't good (the locking tab had broken) so it was backing out. The wiring all tested good of course, but it was the connection. Not a likely problem, but keep your mind open. :)

5. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well Noah maybe you didnt use enough electrical tape or maybe you should have used a few more twists of the hand when you did all your wire splicing:haha:? No really I would put my money on a bad connection somewhere because you did go from about 3 connections to 300000000...

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The MAF burnoff relay only turns on when you switch the engine off. If you remove the intake tube and watch the filament inside the MAF sensor, you can see the result. The filament will glow a nice bright orange for a few seconds. :eek1: When the key is switched off, the ECM commands the relay on for a few seconds. The filament gets hot enough during this time to burn off any contaminants.