Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Code 42 and Rotton Egg Smell

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by btolenti, Dec 1, 2003.

1. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

Lately my blazer has had a erratic miss that happens every so often. I was driving it tonight, and the engine stumbled, the check engine light came on and the truck started running really lugged. It took more accelerator than usual to get it going, and it would stumble off idle. I checked codes awhen I got home and got a 12 and 42. Can a catalytic converter go bad and cause this code? Or did the pickup in the distributor go south, causing bad conmbustion and resulting in the odd smell?

it's an 86 k-5 with a 350 (california emmissions...)

2. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

rotten eggs = cat

3. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

would that also cause a code 42????

4. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

rotten egg smell= fuel soaked cat

5. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

i let the truck cool down for an hour or so and drove it around, and it seemed to be fine! I have no idea what to do next!

6. My Suburban (89) kind of does the same thing. It was storing a code 42, but not now. Every once in a while the tranny feels like it downshifts and theres no power, then the check engine light flashes once, then no stored code. I still havent figured it out.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Your problems sound like one or both of two things.
    The code 42,stumbling missing ect under load+ CEL = Bad magnetic pick up coil. Cheap part but You have to pull the distributor to change it. Change the dist module while you have everything apart also.

Rotten Egg smell is the cat. Try changing the pickup coil. If the smell is still there and performance is sluggish your cat is getting plugged.

Fireinthehole
    If your CEL is coming on engine looses power momentairly but NO code is stored. It is usually the distributor module going bad can also be pickup coil too.

8. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

my truck did the same thing, spent hundreds on diagnosis with no luck. every time i took it in the thing ran fine.dealer tried changing the EGR since it was getting bad, but it still came back. hasnt happened in awhile tho, i would agree with Thunder, its most likely in the dist. i started having problems after i changed the capNrotor. good luck

9. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

after you replaced the cap and rotor?!??!?!?!?!?!? that's odd... I just replace my cap and rotor, and added MSD's super HEI kit too....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

10. Not trying to hijack the thread, but, mine started acting up after I changed the plugs, plug wires, dist cap and rotor also.

Mat

11. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

not a problem.....looks like a lot of us have run into this...