Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

code 43 spark retard too long

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by darkshadow, Mar 23, 2004.

1. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

ok like it says i am getting a code 43 how dose one advance spark? hummm i have been told ihave been a retard too long as well conection??? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Probably means the knock sensor is sensing knock, causing the timing to retard for a long period of time...a little bit of knock/retard once in awhile would be normal (heavy acceleration) but I'm guessing with that code, SOMETHING is telling the ESC system to retard the timing for a long period of time.

Could be the knock sensor,ESC, etc., or there really could be engine issues that it is "seeing".

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yes the check engen light comes on when i am excelerating, hummm there no easy fix for this is there? /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

4. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

It could be the knock sensor. It could also be the ESC module or the connectors. Which octane fuel are you using? It could be bad fuel also. Is it pinging?

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i only ever use ultra 94 highest you can get at the station anyway. pinging? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

6. dyeager535

Running that high of octane, are you trying to hide some problem, or are you running an engine that requires that kind of octane??

A stock engine shouldn't need but 87 to be happy, if you need it to run right, something IS wrong, and if you are running an engine that is really built up, it could also cause problems.

ONLY when you are accelerating I would tend to shy away from blaming the knock sensor...if it detects knock only under high engine load, then it is *probably* working correctly.

I would double check your timing, the computer can and will retard timing, perhaps base timing is too far advanced? Have you messed with it or checked it?

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i run the high octain because it is actuly a little cheaper or about the same price as regulare gas, it gives me better mileage than lower grades. AS well in ontario we have emition testing every two years and in my first sub a 91 350 3/4 ton it just pasted when i got it and a year later when i sold it, the truck past beter than new, i feel it burns hoter and cleaner and have liked it so far. AS for the timeing i have not touched it at all.. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. dyeager535

Check your timing would be my suggestion, first off.

Don't have the manual here in front of me, or I'd check out the troubleshooting for code 43.

"Knock Sensor (KS) or Electronic Spark Control (ESC) circuit fault" is the description of that code I found online.

Not sure if I can check tonight, perhaps someone else on here with a service manual will be kind enough to look up code 43 for you, and tell you the diagnostic procedures.

Always nice to have the manual in cases like these, as the diganostic portions are typically very long.

Notice that the description is *circuit* not *component* so even by replacing either one of those, you might very well not even solve the problem. There are a few things tied into that circuit, so a manual is your best bet to logically narrow down the culprit.

9. dyeager535

Out of the '88 TBI Camaro section, the first test is to use a scan tool at idle to watch for knock.

If you don't have a scan tool, (or probably winALDL) the rest of the test procedures are not going to help you much, as most all call for the scanner to be hooked up while testing.

About the only tests you can replicate are checking to make sure most wires aren't shorting to ground, and making sure all connections are tight...ESC module, knock sensor, and at the ECM. (doubt the ECM connection is a problem, you'd have more issues) The only specifics I can offer from *this* manual for an intermittent code 43, is to check circuit 485 (pin "C" on the ESC module in this diagram) for possible short to ground.

As you mentioned it is only when accelerating, I seriously doubt there is a short to ground, but again, to test actual knock, you've got to have a scanner. My interpretation of the manual indicates it will trip the light if knock (low voltage on circuit 485) is seen for 5 seconds.

10. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

i had this same problem with my Blazer...i think i solved it by resetting the timing, it was a little off. do a search under my username and you'll probably find something

11. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

Do you have any idea as to how much a scan tool is???? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

12. dyeager535

If you've got a laptop, or can borrow one, you can "make" a scantool for about $9.

winALDL is one of the programs you can get for free that lets you "watch" (and save) what the engine is doing. I believe the $9 cable I'm talking about most call an ALDL cable, or ALDL diagnostic cable. They are all over on ebay, but about $40.

Instructions can usually be found wherever you find reference to winALDL.

One word of caution though, a LOT of what you use a scan tool for requires the help of a manual, because the test procedures are in logical order (flow charts) and the values (voltage, signal, whatever) you are looking for are referenced in the manual as well.

I bought an AutoXray XP240 used off of ebay a few years back for $120, with all three cables. (GM Ford and Dodge)

You only need the OBD1 style if you decide to get a scanner...the XP240 works on every GM vehicle I can think of (with an ECM or ALDL connector) from 1981 until OBD2.