Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Code 44

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jc71355, Oct 24, 2002.

1. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Ok, Here's what I've changed:
    New Fuel Pump (Ac Delco)
    New Plugs
    New Wires
    New Cap & Rotor
    New Fuel Filter
    6 Month old BOSCH 02 sensor w/sodered connections.

What are somethings that could be wrong? Spray Pattern looks good. Could a bad temperature sensor be causing this? I've noticed a couple of times it will idle high, similiar to when you first start it, but I always kill it and start it again and it goes back down. What about a gasket leak between the TBI and the manifold? Would this cause high idle and a lean code? I changed the pump sunday, got it back on the road monday and it ran good until today (Thursday). Lack of power, vibrations, and code 44 4 times in about 5 minutes or so. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

TIA,
    James

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Where do you have the O2 sensor, in a collector or in the manifold? Reason I ask is I had that problem with mine when I had a leaky collector gasket (and I have my O2 sensor 2" from the connection). That or any kind of vacuum leak..............do the usual checks (hoses, check bolt tightness on the throttle body, etc.) also. High idle seems to indicate vacuum leak usually............... /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

3. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

The O2 Sensor is behind the collector but it's not leaking /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. That was part of the problem before and I finally got it sealed up good but after a while it started coming on again and it wasn't leaking so I decided it was the pump. You can definately tell when it's running lean. Everything vibrates in the truck when at highway speeds. A very fast vibration that makes it hard to keep in the gas. It also loses power bad. Really takes some pedal to keep it at 70.

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Code 44 is "Oxygen Sensor / Lean Exhaust". Maybe check out the O2 sensor again. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Most definitely a bad TBI to intake gasket will cause the high idle. Change the gasket, it's only about a $4 item. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif