Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

code reader

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by geckojack, Dec 9, 2000.

1. geckojack

geckojack Registered Member

Nov 12, 2000
    Does anybody know of a program that you can load onto a laptop to read the ECM on an 86 Blazer?
  2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Jul 20, 2000
    I never have seen software for obd1( pre 1996) systems on an 86. Most likely because there are so many different types. It would cost a fortune to write software for every vehicle.
    They have software and interface tools for obd2 systems(vehicles 96 and newer) because the obd2 systems are all the same on every vehicle and all use the same codes no mater what the model or manufactuer.
    For about the same price as a lot of software and interface tools you can buy a good code scanner
    I have an Auto X-Ray scanner. It works on all pre 96 GMs with obd ports, and can be converted to many other makes of vehicles. It has a small LCD screen that displays all data stored on the ECM. It works a lot better than the blinking Check engine light. It costs about $160.00. It tells a lot about how all the sensors are working. It has more than payed for its self.
  3. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Feb 17, 2000
    Actually the software isn't a big problem...its the baud rate of the data link that gets ya....as the years went my the baud rate increased and the puters could send and recieve more bits and bytes over the datalink which really helped out. There are a couple web sites out there that cater to use that wish to not pay $3000 for a scanner. And i saw a complete set-up for sale on ebay 2 days ago in the automotive section under tools. Email me or send me a private to remind me and i'll send you the url's.

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban