Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Code Scanner

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, Sep 7, 2000.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Anyone use a code scanner? Are they worth it? I found one at an auto store for 30 bucks and another one at Napa (Kaleqip) for 100 bucks, are they all about the same or does Napa have a better model?

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

You could save that cash and use a paper clip to check the code(grounds the comp and the flashes te codes throught the check engine light like the code scanners do).. I am not sure where you put the paper clip on the Blazers though. Also, since you wont have the code book, call one of your local parts stores and they usually will give you codes.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

I have a Sunpro model, It was about 30 bucks, It isnt bad, it one works if the check engine light comes on. and then it will give you an idea of where to look at. It has worked out for me a couple time. I wouldnt pay much more than 30 for the one I have. Maybe the one for 100 is better i dont know. good luck

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com

4. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

how do you use a scanner, and what does it do?

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The scanner should plug in under the dash. Then you turn the key on and watch the check engine light flash. Its kinda like Morse code LOL. On my old 88 2wd pick-up I just used a jumper between two of the terminals. My service manual said which two to put the jumper on.
    Best part is the jumper costs about $2.00 to make.

Rene

[​IMG]

6. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

The $30 code scanners work pretty well. They don't interpret anything, they just tell you what the computer says is wrong. There is also some freeware laptop scanning software that uses a $30 interface (if you don't make it yourself). Those will show you much, much more than a code scanner.

I'd say go for it because sometimes figuring out the codes from the SES light is a b***h

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I bought a code scanner with the LCD read out it cost 180 bucks at Checker, and is worth every penny.It plugs into the under dash ECM scan plug.You can scan all componets and see if they are working properly Givs info on fuel ratio, volts, how your sensors are working and much more.Also tells you what codes are up and leads you in the direction of the failed componet.

[​IMG]
    Get Out and VOTE!

8. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

Paid $30 from Eastwood.
    Paid for itself the first time I used it. Engine was hesitating, I tried a few things then finally broke down and bought the scanner. Got the EGR code, replaced it, problem solved.
    I figure I saved the $75 the shop would charge to just read the codes. A guy at work paid the Fo*d dealer $100 just to clear the codes (sucker), that didn't include the $75 to read it or labor to repair!