Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Code Scanners?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by husurddy, Apr 18, 2004.

1. husurddy

husurddy 1/2 ton status

Snow Hill, Maryland, go east \'till you hit water
    Up 'till now, I've just shorted out the two prongs to get the Check Engine light and want to buy a good code scanner for a decent price. Who has 'em, what brand, how much, and how well do they work? Oh, did a search already and didn't find much. I'm all ears /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif No really, I am. One of those genetic defect kinda things. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Whats a code scanner? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. husurddy

husurddy 1/2 ton status

Snow Hill, Maryland, go east \'till you hit water
    It "scans" your sensor information and displays it so you can diagnose or fine-tune your engine. Mine is OBD 1, I think.(87 Blazer with TBI) /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Interesting /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I don't have one so I can't help you though /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. grd2go

grd2go Registered Member

I bought a used one from the snapon dealer it does the early 80s to 1999 vehicles it does all domestic and some of the imports as well I paid $700 though is over $3000 new I think its been a while since I checked the prices.. There is different scanners on the market but the snapon one is the only one I ever have delt with.. /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Code scanner IMO would be exactly what you do when you short the two pins out. It just displays trouble codes.

The scanners (good ones) actually allow you to watch and sometimes record the engine data, which I'm sure is what you want.

I've got an Autoxray240 (which has probably been superseded 10 times by now) but it works good.

I'll be going to WinALDL though, since it's free, (the software anyways) and with the laptop I'll be able to log a lot of data, more than is possible with the scanner.

7. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I use the auto xray 240 also, it workswell as long as iuse it in conjuction with alldata. most of the automotive books available aftermarket are absolutly useless, when trying to diagnose anything. but auto xray does work very well on obd 1 and 2 vehicles. www.autoxray.com www.alldata.com /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

8. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Forget the Strap-On scanners.

Id get a Tech 1 or the EASE setup, that works with your laptop.

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have an autoXray too. It is a later model with all the upgrades. OBD1 and 2. I like it. I can use it on any car and get all the info i need. It takes snapshots of operating data and downloads to my PC where I can build charts graphs of the operating data and conditions.
    The new OBD1 units for Chevs are only around 150.00. Once you buy the unit They can be upgraded to ford, Dodge, and OBD2 over the phone. Of course they charge for the upgrades and the cables. Upgrades can also be downloaded over the internet if you have the software and cable. They are a very versitile scanner. Many autoparts stores sell them. i got mine at Checker.