Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cog railway

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fright89, Dec 11, 2002.

1. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

If you have not heard of the cog railway at Mt. Washington take a look

Its a fun way to get to the top and can be a little scary at times.
    There is also an auto road to the summit
    A few of us are meeting there saturday.

pic
    pic
    pic

2. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

I can't wait!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

They have one at Pike's Peak in Colorado Springs also. It is a cool experience!

Mike

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Damn! You beat me to it! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I've been up the Pike's Peak Cog a few times. I remember the whole round trip going up and browsing at the top, and then coming back down, took around 5 hours. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. KAS

KAS 1/2 ton status

We're gonna do the Pikes Peak COG at Christmas...lived in Denver 3 years and never went to it. Looks like it'll be nice

6. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I lived there for a couple of years. What suprised me was the temperature difference from town to the top of the Peak. If it was 80 in town you could be it was 50 or cooler at the top.

Mike

7. thatK30guy

If I had my choice of a big city to live in Colorado, I would pick Co. Springs since it's so much more cleaner than Denver.

We frequent Woodland Park for our vacations where we stay in a cabin during the summer months. From our cabin patio, Pikes Peak is right there in broad view. I like to sit out there with binoculars and watch the tiny cars drive up and down the mountain. Very fun to watch them at night with the headlights on. From where our cabin is, its a little hard to see the cars driving, but if you look hard enough, you can see them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

You will love the COG. I have fell asleep a few times riding it up. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. thatK30guy

Yep, when we loaded up on the COG, it would be hot down at the loading dock. They told us to bring along a jacket or coat. I took a windbreaker with me and immediately understood what they meant by the coat when we were about halfway up! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Another thing that throws you off besides the weather is the thin air up there. When we got off the COG to browse the gift shop and scan the mountain and everything down it, we were taking quick puffs of breath and doing controlled breathing since it was thin up there. Just was not used to it. Talked to a guide whom said he had been working the COG for something like 5 years, and he said there are crews who would stay up on top for so many days and sleep up there. When their day was up, another crew came up and the others went down. He said they get used to the thin air as they eat, breathe, and sleep the air up there.

Pretty cool stuff you can read in the gift shop about the past history of PP. I got a kick out of reading about the "Race To The Clouds" of the annual races they have, around July 4th week. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. KAS

KAS 1/2 ton status

What? The brown cloud that hangs over Denver doesn't interest you?! We were so disappointed when we moved to CO and realize that the brown cloud DOESN'T go away. I guess it's better than where we came from though....ALABAMA, which we HATED!
    In any case, family is visiting at Christmas and we're all going to the Pikes Peak COG. It should be fun...I'm a sucker for all the scenery!