Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Coil spring "helpers"??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nm4x4, Apr 6, 2006.

1. nm4x4

nm4x4 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ever seen coil spring helpers on the rear of a Suburban? I just bought an 89 Burb that has coils inside of the leafs, they are directly inline from the bumpstop to the axle tube. I can get some pictures if needed, it doesn't look homeade or "jerry rigged"! It looks like they are supposed to be there. Just wondering.

Thanks in advance,
    Jake

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I've used them ...

They are aftermarket "Superior" brand add on helper springs most likely,you see them at "Pep Boys" and "AutoZone"...I used them on my 74 K20 to beef up the leafs to haul a full bed of sand for plowing,to keep my flatbed from scraping on the tires....they rode nice,my truck was stiffer without them!..they gave it some "bounce" instead of feeling like dead axles with only the 9 leaf springs..lifted it 2" too!..:D

If I remember correctly,they were available in 1000 lb,1500lb,and 2000 lb capacity..most stores stocked only the 1000lb ones and 1500 lbs..I always wanted to rig some up front to help hold up the plow's weight.but never got around to it...:crazy:

3. nm4x4

nm4x4 1/2 ton status

Cool thanks, I didn't think they were part of the tow package. I thought I have seen most of everything for these trucks. I guess not! It does ride pretty soft, compared to the old 2 wheel burb I had. I just got this one yesterday. I am trying to add pics of it in my photo album.

Thanks again,
    Jake