Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Coil spring rates.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by balzackks84, Oct 30, 2003.

1. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

So I'm pondering linking the rear on some coil springs. Right now I'm just figuring out what kind of spring I'm going to need. I found a few sites that do the quick spring rate calculation but it doesn't ask for the overal length of it.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows a better way of figuring it out or an idea of an application that is close.

I've tried a 72 El, a couple old wagons, and a few misc ones that were all rather short with a few too many coils.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    I know areostar van coils are supposed to be rediciously soft, and some TJ coils might be a little more managable.

ford springs, Full size ones anyway are uaully brutally stiff.

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

look at a rear coil off a jeep grand cherokee.

4. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I know DBLAZER was or still is running superlift (i wanna say 8" lift) tj springs front and rear and it seems it works pretty well. bgreen i think is or was running chevy caprice (older boxxy style) in the rear and flexxed pretty well. bgreen had an adjustable spring mount, but both trucks are running big 44+ tires. I have been pondering coils for some time now, but have yet to decide on coils or coilovers.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Actually, IIRC, I think Brook started with TJ coils, found they were too soft, went to Bronco coils, found they were too stiff, and last I heard was planning on installing some custom custom coils (?) somewhere in the middle.

I've got some V8 ZJs that I'm planning on using with a setup like Brook's.

6. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    I have heard superlift TJ coils are stiffer than stock and work fairly well. hearsay though.

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Actually, IIRC, I think Brook started with TJ coils, found they were too soft, went to Bronco coils, found they were too stiff, and last I heard was planning on installing some custom custom coils (?) somewhere in the middle.

I've got some V8 ZJs that I'm planning on using with a setup like Brook's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll bet ya (since I already know the answer) that there's a way to calculate the spring rate for the various coils by measuring a few basic dimensions and applying a few formulas.

It might be a fun exercise to compile a list of "junkyard rich" coils with some basic information about the overall height, overall width, and calculated spring rate....so that they could be sorted and available to people who wanted to know what coil is the next "step up" in rate (if they're setup is too soft) or "step down" if they need to soften things up a bit....... ?? Then with the local Pick-N-Pull runs a 1/2-price weekend promotion......people would know EXACTLY what to go looking for! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Alright, nobody probably thinks it a "fun" idea except ME! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It sounds like a good idea to me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I found a couple sites that give an idea but they don't ask for overal length so I figured the numbers would be a little sketchy.

Thanks for the ideas. I think the 8" jeep coils sound the best. Everything I found so far has been relatively short.