Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

coil springs in the rear?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by UNCLE CRACKER, Oct 18, 2002.

1. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

I am thinking about putting coil springs in the rear of my truck. My rear springs are bent so I have to replace them anyway. I was wondering if anyone one else has done this and what springs were used. I was thinking about some grand cheroke front coils. also how does it work versus the leaf springs.
    Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

if i were doing coils i'd do KING coil overs like the ORD and MOO trucks have.

3. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

coilovers are sweet but a little to spendy for my blood

4. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

In my opinion, it's gonna take a lot of work to overcome the whole project---first you gotta find the coils---then you gotta fab up some mounts for the coils to sit on---you gotta get limit straps (the coils don't hold them selves in) you gotta do some sort of link setup (3-link, 4-link ect.)to position the axle and keep it there. i suggest heims on all the link corners (at $30+ even for small but good heims) that adds up quick....

im thinking about doing the same thing---and im sure there is more to think about. if you have access to a god fab, or 4x4xshop id say go for it. i sill haven't decided on going coilovers or just plain coils----either way its gonna cost me some $$,

you gotta also ask youself what you are gonna do w/ yur truck----even if you are going totally hardcore--a good set of leaf sprigs will give you the same effect as coils or cooilovers w/ a lot less $$

5. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

For simplicity check out the '70 or so Chevy 1/2 tons, they had coils from the factory. There wasn't a lot of travel available, but it was a nice setup. The design is almost exactly what the Winston cup cars use. A modified setup like that should be pretty cool. Like the earlier post said, it depends on your usage and fab skills or pocket book. There are several alternatives to heim ends, such as "Johnny Joints" etc.

6. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Here is a shot provided by Grim on another thread:
    2WD frame