Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Coilover Conversion questions...

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fairlane_68, Jul 29, 2006.

1. fairlane_68

fairlane_68 Registered Member

I have a 70 K5 resto project-in-limbo, and when I get home from Korea, I have about a month to get the truck to the point that it can start, roll, and possibly move on it's own. That is the easy part, all I have to do is get the engine out and to the machine shop, put the new 39" Pitbull Rockers on, and dig the rats out of the transmission. After that's done, it can be towed to my next duty station, Fort Bragg, NC. I wanna get this truck driveable by late spring. The majority of the work that needs to be done isn't that hard, it's just time and money consuming (like the roll cage). The one are that keeps getting me concerned is the suspension. I've been out of the loop for almost a year now, and although I buy 4 Wheel and Off Road magazine every chance I get, I still can't get up to speed on the latest technology in suspensions. I like coilovers, and I want a lot of flex, but what do I need to do to change over to a coilover front suspension on a Blazer? All the articles I see are for Jeeps.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2006
  2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

3. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

If you have the time for trial and error, mock setup, more trial and error, take apart, put back together; then I say do it. Don't discount the Jeep setup or any other serior coilover setup. That's how I finally got a grasp of what it takes. Alot of fabbing which equals $$ unless you do the work yourself. And coilovers, likes horses, are not cheap. Meaning the cost of them, AND THEN the upkeep. You have to rebuild them every 2 years, or sooner if you are hard on them at a cost of one new sealed shock per coilover. And thats if you don't have to replace one (coilover) all together!! I've lived with them for the last 7.5 years; thats why I'm still undecided whether or not to go coilovers in the front of my '72 K5. I will say this; if you do it and survive to enjoy it, it's worth it in the end!