Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Coilover Shocks valving and such

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by fairlane_68, Aug 1, 2006.

1. fairlane_68

fairlane_68 Registered Member

I'm Stationed In Korea, and I have a project Blazer (imagine that...!) that I'm ordering parts for. I can't exactly pick up the phone and call to order things, so everything has to be done online. Most of the parts I need are easy. No brainers. But, I want to switch to coilovers for the front. It's a '70 Blazer, and by the time I'm ready for coilovers, it'll have a D60 in the front, and a Cummins 5.9L Diesel under the hood.

I have the shocks I want picked out, I just need to know what valving or whatever. I chose Bilstein 9100 Series, I couldn't find anything on the ORD website about the King Coils they sell. I want 8 inches of shaft exposed from the shock when the truck is at rest, using a 17" travel shock. The truck will be running 39" tires on steel beadlocks, 4" suspension lift, and using a full cage integrated into a C10 cab. I'm not picky about the shocks, it's just what I found online...if something saves me a buck or two, I'm all for it.

Anyone who can help out with what I need, I would greatly appreciate it, and it would make an already difficult job a little bit easier. I'm not lazy, it's just that suspension numbers are hard for me to grasp. Being in Korea and trying to order everything I need before I come home means I almost have to build the truck online. Oy. :doah:

2. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would send ORD an e-mail and start working with them directly as well.

You are going to have a hard time making a front end have 17" of travel. It can be done with hydro steering but with normal steering it is going to be very hard to do.
    Bilstein make a nice shock and should be good. I only know King stuff but Valving is something that you will get close on the first try and then have to change a few times to get fully dialed in.
    I am on my third round of valving right now and will be changeing agian in the near future to see of I can make it ride nicer.

Bilstein should be able to help, I don't know what there e-mail support islike though.

3. fairlane_68

What's considered to be normal as far as spring travel goes? 12"? 14"?

4. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Spring travel is not the issue. You can get 18" coilovers if you want.

The problem with the front end is that you have to build steering around that travel. It is possible but hard to fit sometimes. Full hydro makes that problem go away.

16" of travel is possible using normal steering components with well thought out placement. But the possiblilty of bumpsteer is good.

There is a bunch of work involved with making a link and coil front end. It is all worth it in the end but the road to get there can be a bit rough.

5. fairlane_68

ergh...but it HAS to be done. A big bad truck is useless if it can't steer, and I ain't skimping on steering or brakes. I NEED to find a 4x4 shop in OK...