Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Coilover spring rates questions for the few that are using them.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yunit, Sep 7, 2002.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

What kind of spring rate are you guys (Stephen & Steve) running with your coilover's? I am in the process of deciding what kind of spring to use on the rear of my truck. If I install a set of 63" leafs I will want to install traction bars to eliminate axle rap, then I was thinking of just setting up the rear with some coilovers. What would be your recommendations?

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Ya mght try here for some info....
    Swayaway

3. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I am running a dual rate in the rear. 250 over 350. In the front I am running a straight 250 over 250.

4. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Man that is some light a$$ springs. The spring rate for the front only comes out to 145lbs and the rear is 125lbs. How did it do on side hills?

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It leaned. A lot! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Shawn and I were behind Steve on one of the runs at Moab. I had him stop at one point, so I could snap a couple of pics with the body leaning over. I'm almost finished with the roll of film, so I hope to get the pics developed and posted soon. One thing for sure though, Steve's rig did an awesome job of flexing!!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

7. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Triple rates front and rear. Front 350/450, rear 350/350. Pretty well behaved overall, wouldn't mind a swaybar in some situations, and losing some more weight off the top would help also. Body roll is there but controlled and ride quality is nice.
    keep in mind there are many variables, like overall height, weight, roll center height, leverage ratio, link layout, shock length, spring and shock adjustments, etc, right down to personal preference.