Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

COILOVERS and 4-link finished... fuel injection problems...need help

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by juanblzer, Jul 18, 2003.

1. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

I'm in Phoenix right now... the blazer looks and rides really well but the fuel injection is giving my major trouble. Does anyone have Mark "AZblazor"'s phone number? I want to get this thing back up to prescott valley with it pooping it's pants again and I don't want to leave it on the side of the road with my new coilovers for the taking
    Kind of feels like vapor lock but i'm not sure. ANyone have access to a scanner? Bad Dog? Mark? Fuelie Gurus?
    I'm at my parents house right now 480-391-1080 or yall can call my cell and leave a message with your number.
    THanks in advance.
    juanito loco

2. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Which fuel injection system are you running? TBI,TPI aftermarket. What is happening, how is it running. Need more details to help out. A friend of mine has a scanner and I could probably pick it up tonight or tommarow. What part of town are you in? I might be able to help but I know that I will have to work some this weekend. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Mike

3. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've got a scanner, where is your parents house? I'll be home from work about 630PM. I'll PM you my numbers did you get the VSS, P/N switch ?

4. azblazor

I just talked to Juan. He doesn't have access to the internet at his parents house (he made the above post from the library).

The truck is in Tempe. I'm in Litchfield Park (oppposite side of the valley).

Anybody want to offer to help him get it out of Randy Ellis's yard and to a place where it can be worked on (ie cooled garage) on that side of town? Give him a call at the above number or he is carring cell phone 602 695-9535.

Or a possibility is we get it to my garage and whoever wants to -can come over and help us figure out whats wrong with it - and maybe drink a cool beverage.

I know it needs the VSS and P/N hooked up, but it sounds like other issues are present. High/rough idle, stalling on the highway, etc.

But if we get it over here - feel welcome to stop by and check out his new 4 link coilover front end.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I don't have a scanner, but I do have WinALDL and a laptop. I'm also quite a ways off with visiting family plans this afternoon, I'll give him a call anyway...

6. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

He would have to be on the other side of town! If you get it on this side of town I could help some. I'll pick up my friends scanner tonight so I'll have it for the weekend. I I also have a few spare parts for TBI/TPI systems.

Mike

7. BadDog

I've called and left a message... No answer... I hope he is getting it working.

8. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

I'm in Mesa, just down the street from Tempe, if I can help in anyway let me know Ive got an empty garage, no cooling tho but its real nice right now.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Jerry

9. azblazor

Juan is on his way over here. If anybody wants to stop by and say hi - feel free. I'm sure we'll be in the garage for awhile (hours). Call my cell for directions 623 696-6366. We are just west of loop 101 on Bethany Home road.
    Mark

10. azblazor

We got Juan going again. We connected a new VSS module, a P/N switch, his IAC had come unconnected and his EGR was inoperative (needs new valve). Seems to be running quite a bit better. He still may have some vacuum issues though we didn't quite make it that far due to the time. We did a test with the scanner monitoring the system and everything looked pretty good.

Very awesome 4 link front suspension!! Randy knows how to fab!

11. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

I did make it up to my house finally...
    For all those who offered to help, thank you kindly. For Mark Whiting (aka Azblazor) you saved my butt and I owe you big time. Being a member of this website is really a cool way to meet great people and learn an unfathomable amount of information. Thanks again for all your help Mark!

as far as the blazer goes...
    is started to die over and over once I made it into Prescott Valley. It started to run rough a couple of times on the way up so I stopped once on the i-17 exit to bumblebee and once after Sunset Point. It was idling crazily and wanting to die. I will install that EGR valve ASAP and let you know what happens. After that I will go through the fuel lines (re-install the pre-pump filter) and attempt to route them away from any heat source.
    By the way...
    I get way more looks now that those huge coils are slung under the ugly mess that is my blazer. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. BadDog

Glad you made it back. I'm guessing you checked fuel pressure, right?

Oh, and WHERE ARE THE PICS!!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

13. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

By the way...
    I get way more looks now that those huge coils are slung under the ugly mess that is my blazer. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

So, how bout some pics for those of us dreamers who are still on leafs? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Marv

14. azblazor

We did not check fuel pressures yet, we did discuss fuel supply/return issues.

Juan had several things that needed to be done, we wired a VSS, P/N switch, and visual inspection which found problems with the IAC and EGR systems, we corrected those and a power steering issue. We did a test run and drivability/scanner indications showed significant improvement. We were (I was) pretty wore out by then, It was about a 20 hour day at that time for me (in the heat). SO.....no we did not plumb in a fuel pressure guage - although that is definately needed, as well as a thorough check for vacuum leaks.

Somebody told Juan not to run a filter before his in-line fuel pump, I recommend running one. Anybody else have an opinion?

15. FWP

FWP CRS

[ QUOTE ]
    Somebody told Juan not to run a filter before his in-line fuel pump, I recommend running one. Anybody else have an opinion?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, Strainer in front of fuel pump to keep boulders out of the impeller, filter after pump, after that a t'd in schrader valve to check pressure

Thanks for stopping by the other day Juan, sorry I couldn't have been more help /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif, but I only know a little about TBI

16. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm the one that told him that it is not recommended. The filter can cause enough of a restriction in the system to create a vapor-lock issue. Maybe it won't happen up north, but I've seen it happen on more than one occasion here in hell. I'm in total agreement with Fred on this. A known GOOD strainer (not an assumed good strainer) will be sufficient to protect the pump--it's all that the factory uses to protect their pumps. The pump doesn't know that the strainer is located further away with a frame rail setup. Unless the strainer has a problem, this should not be any relation to his problems.
    As far as the funky idle issues go, I have had experience with one of my conversions where I could not get the motor to idle worth squat. I figured out, eventually, that the EGR solenoid was getting an activation signal at idle for some unknown reason. My "field-test" fix (that became permanent) was to put a BB in the vac line to the EGR valve and eliminate its operation. I am a firm believer in EGR valves, but on this occasion, I decided an easy fix was better than hashing out why this occurred to begin with. I experienced no adverse drivability symptoms with the valve plugged, so that is how it remains to this day. Might be worth a shot. Plug it and take it for a drive. If it makes no difference, reconnect the valve.
    Just my $.02
    Nick