Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

coilovers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Yajmekk, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Yajmekk

Yajmekk Newbie

Now as of being 17 and not knowing alot about modifying vehicles I need some help on something I just don't really know much about, You see I want to find a good 10" lift for an 87 K5 that uses coilovers all the way around wich is something I want to do with my first rig, If anyone can point me in a good direction it would be greatly apreciated:bow:

2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Custom fab shop. I am not aware of a bolt on kit that uses coilovers, although I have heard Off Road Design is working on a rear kit

3. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

10" of suspension lift is a lot, I run 38's with 4" of lift on a 71 K20. As far as coilovers go you are going to have to design a custom suspension and then find coilover shocks with the right travel and then fit springs to them with the right spring rate and height to achive what you want to do.

I see this is your first post so welcome to CK5. If you give us an idea of what you want to build the truck for and what you want to achieve then a lot of guys on here with a lot of build experience that will be able to give you some good advice and ideas if your open to suggestions.

4. Yajmekk

Yajmekk Newbie

Thanks guys that does help plenty, and resurrected_jimmy thank you for welcoming me and I'm wanting to build my blazer so I can go up in the woods with my friends and be able to go over pretty much anything that gets in my way, but I still want it to be drivable on the street and I want it to look really good in the process also I'm trying to do it without cutting away at the body, the blazer I'm talking about I don't currently have but I am getting it from a friend of my moms, it use to be hers but she sold it to him and he is gonna sell it back to me. and as of being open to ideas I don't have alot of experience in offroading modifications but I really want to learn as much as I can so I'm very open to all ideas anyone can give me. Thanks

*Edit* now that I looked at the "How will my K5 look with XX size tires with XX lift" sticky thread I get what you were saying about the 10" that is alot, right now it's at 6" lift with 35" AT's but I still want to convert it to coilovers all the way around, it's been awhile since I have seen it but he said it is exactly the same as it was when he bought it from my mom so it should be close to stock everything with a 6" lift and the 35" AT's, and if I remember right that was a really good looking ride height so I think I'll do 6" coilovers. give me some input on what you think would be best.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  5. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You can honostly go most anywhere with leaf springs and they will be better than coilovers on the street. Well in some aspects at least. If you want a looker than spend some time learning how to trim the fenders and put big tires on a little lift that will get you some looks and if you take your time and do it nicely looks really good. Look around here you will find plenty of info, search for 52" swap (rear springs up front) fender trimming, or any other topic you need. If you don't find an answer you want then just ask.

My truck has about 10" of lift and less lift is alot less trouble. Mine will be getting lowered about 2" pretty soon (well just the front the rear only has about 8" of lift)

My favorite "look" that I have seen is 4-6" of lift and 40s that just looks so sweet and alot of poeple on here run about this setup

6. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

I have a link at home for one company doing front coil overs for our trucks. The problem is they want $6500+ for just the front.