Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Coils in the rear?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sandman, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Getting ready to rethink my whole rear suspension and was wondering who has put coils in the rear and what do you think? Thanks.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Steve Frisbee - MO Offroad
    Stephen Watson - ORD

Those two come to mind immediately....both used the uber-expensive King coil setups. I know that Stephen spent quite a bit of time describing the change in the ORD forum after we all freaked out about it.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Not so much about the "How" to do it, but more about the benefits vs. leafs....trail performance, etc.

I'm sure there are more guys with full multi-link setups, but that's all that are immediately available to my brain!!!

I'll be watching this post too BTW....something I'm quite interested in doing SOMEDAY!

3. Sandman

I looked at those trucks and read all I could find in the search but did not really find anybody who has done a "backyard build". I do not want to buy the expensive King Coils. Was looking more for a: get this and this from x in the junkyard and then weld up here and then make that. Maybe I'll try to figure out a cheap way.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Here ya go, this looks like a backyard job. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG] </font color>

5. Sandman

Whaaaa! I actually had something a little tamer in mind /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I wonder if I could just order those coil buckets?

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Whaaaa! I actually had something a little tamer in mind

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean like painting the links and coils black instead of yellow??!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Sandman

I was thinking radial tires. Although those are so bald, they probably ride fine. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Shaggy, thanks for posting that. Now I have to redo mine to look like that. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sandman, one easy way would be to get a trailing arm set up from a 60-72 2wd and mount the arms on top of the axle. You would have to make a different panhard bar, or go wishbone for axle location.

I am going to go with dual triangulated 4 bar with 1/4 Elliptical springs for my crew cab.

9. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

To save alot of time and money on this go find a 1963-72 Chevy 2wd donor (not GMC because they switched back to leaf springs in 1963). The 1960-62 had a wider frame and would not be as easy to use the rear suspension.

If you cant find a donor let me know as I know of many that could be hauled away for free...

10. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

1964 Chevy 2wd suspension
    Look thru the pics on this site! The frame width is very close if not the same to the newer models but you will need to do some measuring to see if the drag arm crossmember does not interfere with your t-case.

11. Alaska Offroad

Alaska Offroad Registered Member

I think I only have about 300 invested in my coil rear suspension. More info here

12. Sandman

Wow. Thats a nice job! I think I've decided to stay more conventional for now. I might be doing this mod next year though. I bookmarked you page. something like that is what I had in mind. thanks.