Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Coin Collectors, Help Please....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by landsmasher, Dec 29, 2003.

1. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Anyone know what this is? The dogs dug it up on our property yesterday. It was all messed up from being in the ground so I cleaned it up on the wire wheel and here it is. It's about 2 3/4 inches wide and almost 1/8 inch thick. Kinda big for a coin but I don't know what it is. I think it's made from nickle or possibly silver. Maybe a mix. It's really heavy for it's size. The back side is worn away for the most part. Anyone know what it is?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

3. landsmasher

Not American... Too big. Amost 3 inches in diameter. Also look at the name on it. Spanish...??? Maybe it's one of those enlargements that people make. The name could have been stamped over the coin... Who knows? Think I'll try to find out what it's made of?

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    so I cleaned it up on the wire wheel

[/ QUOTE ]
    If it was worth anything, that step greatly reduced it's value. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Coin collectors aren't very interested in coins that have been cleaned in any way. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

It's a US coin of some type and indeed looks like a distorted liberty quarter. Check out the word "Liberty" across the top and "In God We Trust" across the center. The letter "V" was used in place of "U" a very long time ago, thus the word trust spelled as TRVST. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Is the coin exceptionally thin? If so, then it might have been run through some type of a press that squished it out that big. Sorta like those things you see today that you turn the crank handle and it will turn a penny into a souvenir for you. That process could also be what added the "extra" names on the face of the coin.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Also look at the name on it. Spanish...???

[/ QUOTE ]
    Oh yeah, Cerullo sounds like an Italian surname. It was probably pressed into the coin as part of the make-it-a-souvenir process.

While probably not worth much, it's a cool find!

6. landsmasher

It's really thick and heavy. 1/8 inch at it's thickest. The wire wheel? LOL! oops... Oh well.. Ya ,,, cool find anyways... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Not American... Too big. Amost 3 inches in diameter. Also look at the name on it. Spanish...??? Maybe it's one of those enlargements that people make. The name could have been stamped over the coin... Who knows? Think I'll try to find out what it's made of?

[/ QUOTE ]

as far as i know in god we trvst does not appear on any coins cept american, lol i would have to concur that its been run through a press of some sort

good luck

8. landsmasher

again... it's an eighth of an inch thick... No pressing here. LOL! I think it's a paper wight... It would also make a great weapon...! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

9. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Larry,just a guess but it looks like a promotional piece to me. Like the "classic" Fourwheeler coin being given out.

10. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

It is American. You may have been right with your paper weight guess. Someone pointed out that it looks like there is a name stamped onto it, and it may have been a personalized Christmas present to someone or something that (since it can't be returned due to the stamping) was neatly discarded in the backyard. But, just for shits and giggles, you should take it to Antiques Road Show. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. landsmasher

Ya I think so too. Was kinda fun finding it though.

12. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

Morris Cerullo Is a Major player in the traveling holy rolling faith heeling cicuit, He's also the one that bought "heritage USA" theme park from the Baker's with fund's raised from questionable mean's, He also own's PTL Network, now renamed the Inspirational Channel.
    This probably a souvenir from his theme park

13. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

14. landsmasher

Thanks Brotha... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif