Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

colbystephens' build thread. NEW TOPIC: Post #s 19 & 29

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Jan 30, 2007.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

well, figured i liked the idea other's have had about keeping all their stuff in one place, so here's mine. :)

1983 Chev Blazer. rebuilt 379 Diesel bored .040 over/465/205/14bff & D44/4.10/open. 4" lift, 35" goodyear mt/r's. rockers cut out, replaced w/ 2x4 tube sliders.

so, we'll start out with something simple. there's a guy starting a fab-shop down in salem, OR who is considering doing a free twin-stick mod on my 205 for me, using my truck as his guinea pig. are there any comments you have that i should let him know? my set up is a 465/205.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  2. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

tell him if he can make it work, and simple, he can sell me one, lol

3. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Colby,

You gotta have some pics and stuff for a build thread..... don't ya....?!??!

and some $$$$ bumpers would help... :D

Marv

4. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

So you still up for some carnage this spring? 55willy and some of the gang talked about an overnite run in the old Bohemia Mine country later this spring if your in. I just need more full size support.:p:

Nics buid pics btw:bow:

5. blazenwhip

blazenwhip 1/2 ton status

6. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

where's that "this thread is useless without pics" smilie at?

7. colbystephens

:haha: ok guys, i'll find some pics... i figure you all get tired of me posting pics. :D

marv - having the $$$$$ to have bumpers would help in the having $$$$bumpers part. :D

W7NB - i'd love a sweet trail... keep me posted. whereabouts is the location you're talking about? what kind of terrain?

Dustin - those doors were made by muddytazz who lives about 20 minutes from me, he had them up for sale, and i really wanted them, but the $300 price tag kept me away. now, they wouldn't fit w/ out some more mods, as Shawn (green blazer) helped me cut up my rockers while i was down there w/ you guys.

to all you who need a pic... here ya go.... more as time comes, i guess, i just wanted to start keeping all my pertinent info here. :D

this one is my truck as of a month ago... now it's got a different grille and higher rockers... i'll see if i can find one of that. :)

[​IMG]

and here's one just for marv... :wink1:

[​IMG]

8. colbystephens

ok, here's w/ the other grille and the sliders/cut up rockers... and my favorite cheap mod: the cardboard cutout. i'm willing to make these for people at a very reasonable prince. :wink1: i'll even include rope!!

the cut up rockers/sliders netted me 3.5 more inches of body clearance, plus a ton more beef. i'll do a short write up sometime... :)

[​IMG]

9. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Where is this at? That scenery looks gorgeous

10. colbystephens

that's martinez canyon, AZ near phoenix. it's one of the most beautiful places i've ever been. :wink1:

ok, here are some plans i'm working on.

spring break - pull the engine, replace the oil pan gasket and fix the leak at the rear main cap. i think the timing is one tick behind, so advance it a tick - fix all my leaks, basically. :) i apparently did one hell of a crappy job sealing that sucker up. clean out my engine compartment of nasty oil, etc.

end of summer - go down to AZ and do a full-convertable conversion. think i'll just buy a soft-top instead of ever getting a hard top. hopefully i can snag the windshield frame from Shawn (supersize75k5) when he parts out the green blazer. pull carpet, deal w/ small rust issues in floor and herculine the floor, turn carpet into full-size removable mats.

need to build some good bumpers and get a locker soon too. all this takes $$$ tho, as y'all know, so it could be some time. :(

11. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Hey, this will be a great reference thread :bow: :bow: !!

And X2 on the pic location :thinking: !

12. colbystephens

:deal: :wink1:

13. colbystephens

ok, so here's the first post i put up on ck5 regarding my rig... somethings have changed since then tho. :) the website listed no longer exists, and i'm not going the biofuel route at the moment. i'll update more w/ pics as i have time. i'm a bit short for time these days.

14. rhino105amx

rhino105amx 1/2 ton status

Hey Colby, we are going back to Martinez this Sat:woot: :woot:

15. colbystephens

yeah, don't make me too jealous. :)

16. 64suburban

64suburban Registered Member

Wow that's an alsome pic. Martinez Canyon, AZ. It looks like your driving through a movie set!!!

17. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Colby,

This is the old mining country above Cottage Grove to the east. Has rock, mud and just rough stuff. This is as much a scenery run as wheeling since the view from up top is breathtaking. When we were up in the area earlier this year you could see from Mt Saint Helens to Shasta and East to the Cascades. MAJOR photo ops between wheeling:D

I'll let you know what we come up with.

18. colbystephens

that sounds great!!!

19. colbystephens

Spring Break Plans

ok dudes, i've got a plan for spring break. i'm going to pull my engine out, steam clean the engine compartment, fix the leaking seals on my engine and transmission and get it super cleaned up.

now, what's the best way to do all this? tips? where should i start looking as far as the type of place which would rent a heavy duty steamer out?

i will also probably be doing some wiring projects while the engine compartment is open. how can i determine what guage of wire is needed for any given situation?

I was considering removing all the A/C stuff from the engine compartment too - will it leave a gaping hole? what will i need as far as that goes? i think there's a tech article about that which i need to find.... :)

thoughts? tips? pads?? ;)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  20. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

PAD!!! :D

J/K. Don't ditch the A/C stuff! We want more people who are willing to wheel in the summertime - most guys rip out their A/C's and then wuss out when the temps go over 100. Get the A/C fixed up and then you can wheel with us June-Sept :thumb: