Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cold Air Induction pictures posted

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BurbinOR, Oct 9, 2001.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Put together a cold air induction system for my TPI unit last night. Total of $10 in parts [​IMG] garnered this.............click link below and check out the "Cold Air Induction" page. This is stage 1, figure I'll eventually get a cowl induction hood and take the cold air in there but for now at least I don't have that hot radiator air being sucked into the motor.

Accomplishes what I wanted it to do...........been inspired by Ken Brown's (blazer72) setup and wanted to do this for months. Uses 4" flex hose - fits perfectly with hose clamps.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

2. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

man with all the cool stuff you've done to this how in the world you dare wheel it is beyond me!!! LOL

man that TPI system looks real cool, and your induction setup looks simple yet effective.

actually the only thing I really want is your 406 with TPI (rest is cool, but I really like that 406 setup!)

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

4. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

The colder the air the better.

72 Blazer CST 400TPI NV4500 NP203/205
    01 Suburban 2500 4X4 8100

5. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Nice setup! Eventually I want to use a cowl-induction setup.
    Will need to fab up something to surround the air cleaner (for a carb.) so that it gets all the cold air coming from the windshield down through the hood.

Starting to babble, sorry!

74 Blazer
    Zepplin
    Check out my Blazer<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976>http://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976</a>

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

That foil type dryer hose is pretty thin. Keep a close eye on it to make sure you don't get any small holes in it. Sucking dust into that nice engine would just really ruin your day (or year)! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Good point. I already bought the heavier gauge non-foil type dryer hose now that I have the routing set. Going to put that on today..............cost now up to $16 total [​IMG].

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Well, guess I should know better than to do two mods at once. We got a 'final' chip for the computer and put that in Saturday, while at it changed the knock sensor since it was not giving codes but was showing up on the readout. Then got the TPS and IAC dialed in for the new chip............drove it home and felt the best its felt since we did the motor about a year ago. Then Monday did the Cold Air Induction.........and it does seem to run better, especially when the motor is completely warmed up. Tho it could be a placebo effect in action [​IMG] it does make sense that it runs easier when the motor/radiator is hot.

Made one other change tonight...........got a more robust and stiffer/thicker flex pipe installed. Added bonus, it matches the TPI better than the cheaper flex hose [​IMG]. Put new pics on the site of the new intake hose also.

9. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

10. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Good job Franky boy! Lookin sharp bud! Just for the record...the TPI swap book from www.jagsthatrun.com has listings in the back to do the same thing....except the elbows they have are made out of the hard rubber for the joints and aluminum tubes..more than likely more than $16 bux...but a tad bit more durable. Myself and my TBI are doin fine...up to a flat 300 miles per tank right now...regardles of long hauls as she tach's around 3k at 65ish....so i guess its time to look into a R4. Stinkin about doin a cold air for the TBI on the 79...was thinkin of usin the a donor TBI car bonnett that GM used on there 2.0L corsica's...etc...as a base to attach tubing....then if i could figure away to toute the a/c suction line thru it to further drop the temps....lol. Allways thinkin. Now MR.....i don't care what you think you are doin you WILL showup at my house and caravan to Moab for the get together!!! And thats FINAL...non negotiable!

Azblazer

1979 K5 350 TBI
    1976 K5 Chalet
    If it ain't got arizona pinstriping.....you ain't wheelin the pee outa her!

11. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Something to think about is to add some thermal insulation to your flex hose. A layer of foam followed by a layer of Reflectix or foil should work nicely. I don't know how much heat that hose will take in , but if you want to drop your intake temps, that is probably the next logical step.

Does this system use an intake air temperature sensor? If so, you might want to make sure that it is mounted in a place that sees the true temperature of the intake air, i.e., isn't too badly affected by heat soak.

Just some thoughts, not a diss, that TPI 406 is sweet!

<font color=green>Does a Dyslexic Insomniac Athiest lay awake at night wondering if there's really a Dog?</font color=green>

12. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Oh man thanks for that link to JTR. I have been killing myself looking for stuff like that............figures I didn't look 'smart'.........right under my own nose. That will be a bonus, cause that is what I have in mind for Stage 3 of this CAI project. Stage 4 is the cowl hood idea..........but that will probably wait a while.

As far as Moab goes...........man it sounds better each passing day. And I sure wouldn't want you pissed at me for not being there! Might have a PNW caravan going. We'll see...........

Thanks again for the info.........good to hear from ya.

13. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the feedback. I will be going with some type of rubber 'factory style' parts for the next stage of this project (see my comments and Doug's recommendation above for parts availability from JTR) , then on to the true cowl induction setup in the future.

As far as the intake air temp question - no, this is not a MAF system, it is Speed Density, so the heat soak issue is not a problem in this case. Good point for the MAF systems tho.