Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cold air induction with TPI? Anyone have links or pics?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BurbinOR, Jul 30, 2001.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

One of my near future mods is setting up a ram air/cold air induction setup for my TPI input............if you haven't seen the front of a TPI, pics on the site below under TPI 406 motor page...........I want something that if possible takes the cold air from a source not in the front of the truck but also not susceptible to water splashing into the intake.

Any ideas you guys have seen? I saw TPI86's but want more options before I decide what to do.

Perfect world? - steel 2" cowl induction hood sucking the cold air from the cowl.........[​IMG]

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.alloffroad.com>www.blazzinor.alloffroad.com</a>

2. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

splashing water huh? on the windshiled too? cowl induction takes in from base of windshield, so don't use a NASCAR style cowl intake set up system. maybe a '79 TransAm shaker style rear facing intake that doesn't go all the way to windshield?

Neil H.. Alabama.. '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne. '74 C10 3spd/floor 250ci 4x2

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I've been kicking this issue around in my head off &amp; on as part of my future planning (TPI 383 and steel cowl hood on my wish list)...

If you go with a cowl induction hood, a lip of some sort (like a dam) at the entrance to the scoop should probably divert most of the water on the hood surface around the opening. Making the engine-side air intake enter the airbox at mid-height and having a couple drain holes at the low points should take care of the rest.
    The airbox I refer to is the unknown quantity in all this. I haven't thought of a good way to get the air from the back of the hood to the front of the motor yet, but I think it will involve some sort of airbox.

Maybe we both need to get a couple good looks at the new Camaros and Firebirds with the hood scoops to see what the factory did about the water-ingestion issue... Try to find a couple ideas there.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style...
    [​IMG] <font color=green>Semper Maintenance!<font color=black>