Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cold air intake

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rick88blaze, Feb 11, 2007.

1. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

Has anyone on here tried the cold air intake kits on ebay like this one HERE or one like it? Or at least know of someone that has? I would like to get one for my '93 K2500 with a 350TBI but I don't want to get one if they are complete junk.

Thanks,
    Rick

2. Mr.Jimmy

Mr.Jimmy Registered Member

Im in the market for something along the same lines, the part im worried about is the filter. for that price im thinkin it might be worth a shot. Air raid's kit is similar but at 180 bucks, its hard to justify ya know

3. TBlaz8

TBlaz8 Registered Member

u could do sumthin alot cheaper that works alot better. buy a air filter that is bigger then normal for ur truck, the lid should sit high and not cover the filter completly, then all u have to do is buy a longer center rod for the filter, the one that u screw the wing nut on to, thats it, alot cheaper and better then a cold air intake.

4. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

I just drilled holes in the factory air cleaner all around it. 2" holesaw I believe all around then blasted it and repainted it flat black...came out looking nice

5. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

pics

6. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

IMO those kits on ebay suck, first, they aren't cold air kits, because they suck air out of the engin compartment, secone I have seen the piece that goes on the tbi get loose and slip off between oil changes, my boss put one on his truck, and every oil change we would have to reset it because it wouldn't seat right.

7. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

can't post pics, not a member here. Just think of drilling 2" holes in the outside then blasting the housing and repainting it flat black. Took 30 minutes total and looks good to me. It's a poor man's open element air cleaner

8. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

The point of a cold air intake is to get the air intake away from the engine so it draws in cooler air. I have tried open element filters in the past and never noticed any difference other than the sound.

Besides, if you use a regular open element filter it's going to draw in warm air coming off of the engine. Which in turn actually takes away power. Cold air intakes have been proven to work many times over. That's why I want one like what's in the ebay ad in my first post in this thread.

So, if noone knows of anyone that has good luck with one of these cheaper kits off of ebay, then I will save up my cash to get a name brand kit from someone like K&N or someone like that.

Rick

9. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

those ebay ones aren't "cold" air. Any air pulled from the engine compartment will be heated. A cowl hood with a sheet metal block off and an open element air cleaner would be "cold" air. Mounting a filter 18" away from the engine will still heat up.

10. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

On my 95, I blocked off the heatriser, then took some metal dryer duct and ran it over to the fender. Then put a Air Hog in it. Worked better than putting and FIPK on my 96 7.4.