Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cold Blooded Bastard

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Drey, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I went to leave a friends place last night real late. I started my Blazer. It seemed like it was running ok. As soon as i turned onto the road it and gave it some gas it died. Started it up again and got onto the gas slower, it was fine then, I got home alright. It was about 2-3 degrees outside.
    I parked it outside, and I went to start it about 1 PM today. It started up, I put it in gear and it died again:confused: Keep in mind this is a 96 Vortec 4300 Blazer, i didnt think fuel injected vehicles were supposed to be like this. Has anyone else incountered this problem. All the TBI vehicles Ive had havent done this to me. Its going to to the dealership monday to get scanned for the damn SES light, with is no doubt some Emissions BS acting up:crazy:

2. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like fuel problems. Maybe plugged fuel filter?:confused:

3. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I just installed a new one when i got it in may...could be plugged I suppose though.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

just sounds like its cold to me. If I get on it in my TBI Burb and its really cold it stumbles. My 84 K5 used to be horrible. I'd start it and if I didn't warm it up I'd have to go really slow for up my road(hill).

5. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

Your TBI burb should not stumble when cold. Check/replace your coolant temp. sensor. That's what tells the ECU to add extra fuel when it's cold and sets the idle speed.

Send me an email if you need the procedure for checking the sensor (it should be in any Chilton's or Hayne's manual).

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I know how you feel----

I say it every day on here--water in the fuel--hate to sound like a broken record,but even a small amount of water will clog the sock filter in the tank,wont pass thru a paper filter very well either--and the small amount that does make it through will freeze on the throttle body butterflies(or carb butterflies),causing it to stall(mostly at idle)sputter,stumble,and run poorly overall..usually gets better as it warms up-.The coolant temp sensor as suggested already,is another possibility,especially if your truck has been lighting the"check engine" light...:crazy:

7. mill5471

mill5471 1/2 ton status

I would check the EGR valve. I had a 94 4.3L Vortec that would have trouble starting and idling and the EGR was stuck open. Cleaned it off and has ran good ever since.

8. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

its new too...:confused: I replaced it and all 4 O2 sensors shortly after i bought it.