Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cold natured!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by purple76pearl, Mar 11, 2003.

1. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

I'm not trying to take up as much space as i can, i honestly forgot about this question

When missouri got snow about 2 months ago, i managed to tear the tranny out of my blazer.

It was parked for about 20 days, maybe longer while i had a new one built and installed.

Now that its back, it seems like it doesnt want to start all the time, dies when i stop it i dont let it run for 20 min.

Just seems like it became cold natures over ngiht(20 days or long)
    This blazer for being stock, and almost 30 years old, used to start no matter what, never missed a lick

Now it pisses me off everytime i start it,
    What could be my prob? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Have you run any strong carb. cleaner through the fuel system yet? (Stuff you dump in the tank)

When the carb sat so long, it might have built up some deposits and is gumming up someting inside the carb. You might try cleaning it with cleaner spray from the top too. But the in-tank cleaner is necessary for the tiny passages inside.

In my experience a cold motor is much more dependant on a precise fuel/air ratio than a fully warmed up motor.

3. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

thanks, ill give it a try for sure, does heet work good?
    if not what would be a good choice to run through a tank of gas? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Heet is mainly alcohol, it's used to absorb water and de-ice gas lines. What you want is something like this-
    www.stp.com Click on "STP Products", then click on "Product Catalog", Then click on the silver bottle. This is the "STP® Complete Fuel System Cleaner"

This is a fairly good one, the cheaper brands that say they do the same things as this STP product work, just slower. Try to stay away from anything that says on the bottle to run it every tankfull, that stuff is too weak to dissolve any of the tough stuff.
    I find that it cleans the best if you run your tank a little low, pour the bottle in, then fill your tank till you have about 10-15 gallons in the tank. Then try to run your tank down to around 5 gallons. This is to keep the cleaner more concentrated so that it works better.

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

id like to try that to...how long does i take to work? could i get it at a parts store?