Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cold running engine!?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by skratch, Dec 22, 2003.

1. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Ok so it's in my 94 G20, but I have no clue what is wrong. I have a new thermostat (180 I think) and she won't break about 120 degrees.

It's a TBI 350 with a factory radiator, fan . . . nothing has been changed but the thermostat and coolant. I know most vans typically run a little hot, but this thing runs way cold, can hardly get any heat out of the thing if your on the freeway.

Any ideas on why it's acting like this would be really helpful, thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Any chance the van uses a heater valve, and it's just not opening?

Barring that, have you hooked up a scanner to check what the ECM is seeing?

If the heat coming out of the vents isn't hot, then it's likely the engine truly is cold, (and not a gauge/sender issue) but with a coolant valve, that could be the problem.

3. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Never thought of that, I'll have to take a look, thanks!

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It's also possible that the new thermostat is letting coolant leak past. It doesn't take much flow at all to keep the engine cool when it's really cold out. BTW, the spec for that engine should call for a 195 degree thermostat. That will pump out lots-o-heat! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Funny you should bring this up. Just tonight I was working on our new K5. It would not get over about 110-120. Pulled out the tstat, found it was a 160 and apparently opening too soon. Put in a spec 195 tstat and it's setting about 200 on the gauge, not bad at all and it runs better (probably the first time it's gone closed loop in a while /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif )

But, still no heat (and it isn’t really cold here). My next thoughts were heater flow valve in the line is stuck/unhooked, or the plenum door diaphragm is stuck/unhooked. Looked under the hood again, no valve. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Check the hot water lines and the one from the engine is somewhat hot, the return from the heater core is COLD. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I don't mean warm, but COLD. Only thing I can think of now is a plugged heater core... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

6. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Hmm, I get some heat so I think the heater core is fine, I'll yank it all apart and get a new thermostat for it. Hopefully that will help.

Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif