Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cold Start problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by smack, Apr 14, 2000.

1. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

This one's got me stumped. Every once in awhile my 87 Jimmy (TBI) won't start when the engine is cold. It cranks fine. Once I looked in the air cleaner and was pretty sure no fuel was being sprayed by the injectors. However, I ran around to the back and heard the fuel pump working. The fuel filter is fairly new. If I leave it sit for awhile and come back it'll start. Once running it seems to have no power loss and idles fine. What could it be???
    My first thought is a flakey pump. My gauge does bounce and I've heard that a sender going is usually a sign of a pump going.
    Second, faulty injectors. I haven't had the chance to test the electrical pulses to the injectors since it always seems to happen at inoportune times.
    Finally, this problem seems to coincide with the time when my rear u-joints exploded. All it takes is a look around but maybe a cap shot off and damaged my fuel line. Wouldn't that affect performance though??
    Please help!!

2. 83K5

83K5 Registered Member

I think you have a bad pump . When engine is cold it needs more fuel to start . Pull a fuel line off and turn key on and see what kind of output you have .

3. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the reply,
    I'm hesitant to check the fuel pump output pressure because one I don't have a gauge and two there are no driveability problems when it's running. In my chilton's it mentions a two second prime that happens when the motor's cold but the problem is that I can't have someone crank the motor for me every time for the first time all the time since this is a sporadic problem. I was thinking that my coolent sensor was malfunctioning but wouldn't that affect my temperature gauge too??
    Arggghhhh!!!