Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cold Start Valve in Exhaust

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Justin Fleming, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Justin Fleming

Justin Fleming 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Wha do you people suggest for the vaccum line going to that valve. The emisions stuff has been stripped. Should I just wire the butter fly open or should I put some ported vaccum to it?

thanks

2. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

I just took mine off.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

nothing needs to be done..

If the EFE Valve (Heat Riser) is vacuum operated,vacuum CLOSES it when the engine is cold..its spring loaded to hold it in the OPEN position when the motor warmed up and vacuum is denied..so if you leave the hose off,its already open,the spring inside will hold it open..no need to wire anything!..

You will get faster warm ups and better gas mileage if the EFE is operating correctly,especially if its cold where you live during the winter..I practically HAVE to have mine working and the "Hot air" tube to the aircleaner too,or my carb frosts up like a sno-cone and it ices up and causes stalling on cool dmap days--which we get more than our share of around here! :doah: :crazy:

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

As mentioned, it's normally open. Just make sure that it moves freely, or at least stays open. Typically they rust in place, hopefully thats open.