Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cold Starting Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Another post reminded me to ask this.

After a cold night (below 30ish degrees) when I go to start my truck it starts, but only seems to run on about 6 cylinders. It idles very rough and sometimes I have to give it gas to keep it running. After a few minutes it will start to run a little better (like it is running 7 cylinders). Then after a few more minutes it runs fine. Why is this?

Specs: 350, Qjet (that is running rich), stock manifold. It also has MSD 6 Offroad box, MSD Blaster SS coil, MSD cap & rotor, MSD 8.5 wires. Plugs are gapped to .050, and timing is set by ear (whole nother story you may have read). I have set the timing to just before it pings under load.

Thanks
    Harley

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Welcome to my world! Still haven't fixed the problem, but from extensive research and question asking, this appears to be a choke-related problem. Anytime it drops below 40 or so I have to deal with this. According to Grim, the electric choke needs a rebuild/new spring. Or you can convert to manual choke. Hope this helps.

John

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have the same problem, it was probably my post that reminded you when I said about not idling at cold. My QJet is also running rich. I was thinking I need to rebuild my carb. I told my dad about it and he said don't worry about it fix the important stuff first like your fender and bumper... I was was pissed at that comment. On the way to school today I had to pop start the K5 4 times!

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Mine isn't that bad. I just have to sit in it for about 5 minutes after I start it to get it to run fine. I just have to make sure it doesn't die by giving it some gas every once in awhile. I think it was your post that reminded me to post this. I think what I will do next time it gets cold and it runs like crap I will override the choke and push it to the full open position and see if that cures the problem.

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    After a cold night (below 30ish degrees) when I go to start my truck it starts, but only seems to run on about 6 cylinders. It idles very rough and sometimes I have to give it gas to keep it running. After a few minutes it will start to run a little better (like it is running 7 cylinders). Then after a few more minutes it runs fine. Why is this?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's how a choke works. The rough running you're hearing is the rich gas mixture being sent to the cold motor. As the motor runs and warms up, the choke slowly lets off and your idle should smooth out.

The "wanting to stall" thing is very common with Q-Jets, especially if you mix in a little humidity with the cold. I've been dealing with finicky cold starts ever since I started driving......

There's 2 things you can do that *may* help your truck start better in colder weather-

1. Bump up your high idle. Keep in mind that feathering your pedal during warm up will kick your carb out high idle. That's not good...........

2. Adjust your choke down a wee bit

Hope this clears things up. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

see my high idle is a little too high and it is pretty humid lately, real foggy and wet. I am just saying forget it and am on the lookout for a newer daily driver. Found a 90 K5 fairly close I want to go check out.