Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cold Weather Camping

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tecton, Jan 27, 2004.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

any tips?

ive read a military mountaineering manual...i can make a potty from sticks!

but any other tips?

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Bring a ton of food. You will burn major calories just staying warm. Where are you going camping at?

3. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

in the woods up behind my house

im going to drive up there, then hike to the campsite...probably not bring much, putting my skillz to the test

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I just did this the first weekend of January when I went wheeling in Northern Wisconsin. Overnight temps were in the single digits, and it was windy.

Here's the biggest tip for you for when you go to sleep. Put on ALL dry clothes! Don't think your underwear and t-shirt are dry enough to leave on, I guarantee you'll be cold. I know the new clothes will be cold when you put them on (trust me, I know), but you have to wear dry clothes to stay warm. Here's some more sleeping tips; wear wool socks, have at least long underwear on (tops and bottoms) if not more, isolate your sleeping bag from the ground with more than just a layer of plastic (a cot would be the best, but a sleeping pad will work - that's what I used). Oh, and obviously, a nice heavy-weight sleeping bag is a must. Also, having another blanket to throw over your sleeping bag is a good idea.

I don't know how cold it will be, but remember, you CANNOT be over-prepared. Bring everything you think you'll need, then pack more.

COLD WEATHER CAMPING /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The coldest night I've ever been tent camping it got to 8 below zero. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Some good long undies, thermal socks, a balaclava, and a sleeping bag rated for the coldest temp you're likely to encounter will keep you pretty toasty. I also didn't sleep on the ground, but instead used a cot and a thermal pad to help keep out the cold from below. When you're out of the sleeping bag, VERY warm boots are your friend. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I've got a pair of Cabelas Outfitter style boots with 1200 grams of Thinsulate that I use when I'm hunting and hiking. I've got a pair of superinsulated pac boots for hanging around camp. They aren't very comfy for hiking, but they're rated to -100, so they keep my feet nice and toasty. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

If you plan to be out hiking during the day, dress in layers. It takes a lot to keep warm in the early morning, but later in the day it helps to be able to peel off a layer so you don't sweat. But if all you have on is a heavy coat, then you might be too hot with the coat on, and too cold with it off.

6. roadhawg

roadhawg 1/2 ton status

I Only have one word for you...........

Winnebago.
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I've done that a few times back when I was single and could just go. I either built a snow hut or a long fire depending on the conditions and the snow level.

8. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[​IMG] AND [​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. kombi59

kombi59 1/2 ton status

I grew up in Alaska,and have camped -30 and colder while mountaineering if I can stress one thing it is layers. wind layer/waterproof insuation layer and wicking layer. lot'o'calories also. then have fun. I attended an Airforce winter survival class they definately show you how lame the cold can be. now living in AZ I get cold when it 65 out, funny how you can change so much just by your climate. have fun. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif