Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cold weather problems, Please help

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by 4by4bygod, Dec 25, 2004.

1. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Temps went down in the teens yesterday, in addition to the 12 plus inches of snow, and my wife's usually reliable 93 gmc jimmy w/ 4.3 vortec isn't starting. It cranks away, and it "almost" catches and trys to start, then it doesn't.

I charged the battery overnite, and still no start. I don't think the fuel is gelled because I run a catalyst which takes the low temp operabilty of the fuel to 18 below, and it's run fine up until this happened.

Any ideas would be appreciated, so I can get to the parts store on sat. and get this fixed.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas.

Tom

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

First thing I would do is plug in a scanner and find out what temp the computer really thinks it is. If it's reading a warmer temp than reality, then it won't add enough fuel to start in the cold temps. The cold-start program is the EFI equivalent of the choke on a carb. It adds more fuel as the temps drop.

3. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the repy!

I fixed it. all I did was take a few halogen work lights and hang them in the engine bay, and after it warmed up, I hit the key with the gas pedal at the floor. now it runs like a champ. I was hoping it was something simple, and I got my wish. merry christmas to me.

Tom

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

But will is start the next time the temps drop? :confused: By warming it up all you did was get the engine warm enough to start. (Or perhaps it just melted some water that we frozen in the lines?)

5. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

<< But will is start the next time the temps drop? By warming it up all you did was get the engine warm enough to start. (Or perhaps it just melted some water that we frozen in the lines?)>>

I'm assuming I just needed to melt something to get it going again. I aimed one light at the front of the intake, and another at the distributor. It stayed very cold for a day or two after I did this, and it fired right up when we needed it to.

I'm trying hard not to sink any more cash into this thing before I can get her something better in the spring. I'm done with these S series trucks, nothing but a PITA to work on. She wants a durango anyway.

Thanks again for the response, Happy new years to you!

Tom