Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cold Weather Sucks!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cavalry, Dec 29, 2000.

1. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    Its been a intresting day.... I did my weekly ritual of washing the 2.3 tons of roadsalt off my K5. Drove to my girlfriends afterwards for dinner. In my haste to eat I did not look to see which set of keys I had in my hand. I had locked both my warmup set, and my regular set of keys in the truck. All I had was my office keys. I went out to warm up the truck realized both sets were locked in it and uttered a loud S$IT!!.. No problem I thought. My sliders never are locked and I can slide one open and get in. They were both unlatched but frozen shut. OK I can deal with this.....Since I still havent replaced the upper doorhinge that I bought a year ago, the door never shuts fully. I try for an hour to get the lock button with a coathanger....NOPE!....some yahoo at her building sugests using a slimjim....I explain to him that I would but all 3 that I own are, you guessed it....locked in the truck. Realizing that on my office ring is also a key to my house I take her truck and go back to my place to find my 3rd set of keys. I drive back, and guess what. Both locks are frozen shut! Back to my place for a butane torch to thaw out the locks. Got it all sorted out, only wasted 3 hours on it...I think I'm moving back to Texas!

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I sympathize with you man. It does suck.

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

i was gonna post something about how cold it is in Texas but...actually, I haven't worked on my truck in a while now, because its too cold out there.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I can vouch that its colder than a brass toilet on the shady side of a igloo in Texas[​IMG]. I had to wear gloves while working on my exhaust so my hands wouldn't freeze to the pipes, and kept hand warmers in my pockets the whole time. I've heard that Dallas has been catching hell with ice, the same with east Texas.

[​IMG]

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

It was nice here in Elko Nv. today. It got a little above freezing and the sun was out. Saw a bunch of kids riding their new bikes and scooters in t shirts and shorts.Took the K5 and a trailer and went out and cut a bunch of wood and was stripped down to my t shirt in no time. Gosh it was hot! I'm glad the roads didn't thaw out and turn to mud or I would of had to wash my truck.
    I think tomrrow I will go out to the lake,cut a hole in it and catch a bunch of perch for a New Years BBQ and Fish Fry. Maby I can get a tan.
    Man, Life is great! And its only the 10th day of winter.
    Being cold is just a state of mind

6. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

You can move to Bay Area, CA. I think it was about 63 today....Had shorts on yesterday!

If it ain't a Chevy, don't raise it up!

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

yep northern texas and southern oklahoma have been having terrible ice storms lately. Lots of broken trees, power outages, and such. Maybe you'd want to try cancun!!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

8. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    Anybody know how the wheelin' is in Cancun? I dont know Tx sounds pretty good right now. I dont think its gotten above 10 here for a few weeks. It was so cold wen I washed my hood the soap bubbles got trapped under ice. At least you southern boys arent scraping 3 inches of salt of your truck for 6 months a year.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Cavalry on 12/30/00 05:36 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

9. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

OK you've got a point about the salt, except I heard that my city uses 80% sand and 205 salt on the roads, so we have to deal with it too-just about 80% less though[​IMG]

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

10. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

205=20% salt

90K5

11. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i wish i would snow here in nc for some fun!!!!
    i snows here like 1 time every 3 or 4 years!!!

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    K5: Because size DOES matter

12. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Right now we have about a foot outside and it's not stopping until night time. I was driving around before but my hubs didnt lock [​IMG] so I dropped the air down in the tires a little and came home. I had to beat the hubs a little but they locked. I'm going back out in a few minutes! [​IMG]</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

13. pregate

pregate Registered Member

i love texas since its so damn hot all year .. but this winter had to go and ruin my fnatasy homefront

id rather it be 115 than 55

1979 K5 Blazer
    4x4, 350 V8

14. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

we got about a foot here in philly too. If the sno stops and its close to 14", i win $$ in my house. each time it snows everyone places bets, then we average out the depth from the 4 major news stations, and whoever is closest gets the $$. i bet 14 inches this time.

--matt
    shaggyk5: 85 Blazer, 6" lift coming soon!

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

15. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Y'all ever notice how everybody complains about the weather....but nobody ever does anything about it........Dang freezin' here.....my doodad looks liike a short stack 'o buttons......

89 Jimmy headers built 700R Auburns Molys 4:10 4" 10B/12B Con-ferrs 10" Rallies 33" BFG Muds Alpine/Fosgate

16. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I've almost been in that spot, lol. It was during the summer I had just got the formerly beaten '82 Blazer (its alot better now :-D) and I spent all night cleaning it up, got it lookin nice and then I locked it for the night. I get up and wanna go out and play with my truck. I put the key in the lock and try to turn, nothing, go to the other door, nothing. I begin feel a little worried, I think "never fear, I'll try the tailgate", the cylinder actually turned but the switch wouldnt activate the motor. So here I am with a shinny piece of metal that does jack squat. I call the former owner up and why of course, according to him they worked for him. My new toy is just sitting out there and I can't play with it. Then inspiration hits, the sunroof! I'm climbing on the thing like a jungle gym, get the roof open, dodge the KC's and I'm in! This was funny at first, but I looked like an idiot till I caught on, don't lock the door stupid.

"An old Blazer never dies, they just... rust away."

17. windrider

windrider Registered Member

29 inches of snow in Dec. alone....I love the cold. You can always put on more clothes!

18. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I feel your pain. Moved to Atlanta from Detroit. It's damn cold right now 19deg. I think my fuel pump is giving it up on the 75 and just can't get motivated to really check it out little less put on the spare. We had just a little snow and sleet a couple weeks ago and it would just start melting in the late afternoon. some ran down inside the door on my Wifes 79 and froze the linkages. I thought I had the freed up but she had problems the next day. thankfully the passenger door worked.
    I wouldn't mind the cold if I got some real snow to play in for a few days but we get the cold and no snow. Well we are due for some good winter weather so I may regret my gripe :) On the upside it only gets cold enough for 4 months that I put the Hard top on the 75...the rest of the year is topless :)

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

19. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

K5Jimmy, that is sick [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]