Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cole Quinnell leaving? Noooooooo!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rockblazer, Oct 30, 2000.

1. Rockblazer

Rockblazer 1/2 ton status

Man I liked that guy as an editor of Petersens. His points were direct no b.s. and he favored full size rigs! A big round of applause for that guy! The magazine reflected his taste as well. There were more tech articles, features and stories about full size rigs than there have been in a long time. I think Rick Pewe will be alright, I just hope he carries the same torch. Already starting out on a bad foot, he came from JP and he loves Jeeps. I just renewed my subscription too! Well, life goes on. Thanks Cole,good luck in your new endeavor and keep the direction bud! Todd

"You're right... I don't understand that Jeep thing!"

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Whats up with this? First 4x4 Power shutting down and now this.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I agree that it's sad to see Cole heading out, but I'm equally pleased with Rick. He's a smart dude, jeeps or otherwise. I actually subscribed to JP just to read his articles. Rick and David F(can't spell his last name to save my friggin life) did a lot for for 4wheel and offroad. I'm glad to see him back. I'm not in the least bit worried about that mag, if anything, I think it'll continue on it's run as a low-buck, hard core, real world off road mag.

Kyle
    89K5

4. Scott Ellinger

Scott Ellinger Registered Member

David Freiburger's back? Man, I moved, and they lost my info, and I haven't seen a mag in a while, but Freiburger was cool.

I've also met Pewe, hung out with him, BS'd for hours, and he's a really cool guy. He's into 4x4's, not just Jeeps, and the kicker to point me that way is, even after he got promoted from 4WOR to JP, he was still taking pictures of a few wicked Toyotas and other odd stuff in South Dakota. Even with the knowledge that his new boss was gonna be peeved, but that his old buddies at 4WOR would appreciate a few cool tech and 'wheeling shots slid under the door.

Anyways, they're really cool guys, even if Pewe isn't personally driving a fullsize, or a Chevy, he's always interested in checking out cool stuff.

--scott
    http://www.rockstomper.com

5. Kennedy

Kennedy Registered Member

Fear not guys,

I am here to tell you that Cole Quinnell has "not left the building." I can say that with confidence because my office is right down the hall from his. And though he is no longer Editor of 4WOR, he is still very much involved with it and the other magazines at Emap. I promise:)

And those of you who know Rick are right too, he is a great guy. And though he loves all things Jeep he is not the type of person that thinks Jeeps are the "ONLY" truck worth having. He will be good to you, and he knows his stuff!

So if that doesn't make you feel any better about 4WOR magazine, how about this- I write for them now... and I am one of you guys!

I have an '89 Blazer with 234,000 miles on it back in Mass. And I have a 2000 Silverado 2500 here in L.A.
    I'll keep them on the path you guys have come to like about this magazine, and if I don't let me know!

David Kennedy

David 1989K5

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Damn, that sucks. He always had stuff to do to his truck. Now there will probably be more Jeeps than ever.

90K5

7. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Kennedy, I've been subscribing to 4WOR for some years now and really liked Pewe's articles. Good to have him back. Also good to hear that Quinnell is still close and that you will have some imput. Sounds like it's all good.

Cruisin in my '73.

8. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Kennedy cool to hear from one the mag guys!!I hope the mag don't change it is my favorite one right now.Cole was cool I love his chevy,he had some good articles that I enjoyed reading Pewe is also a knoledgeable guy just hope it don't swig to much towards jeeps.Got enough mags for them!!!If you go back for the blazer you can drop it off at my place,I'll give it a good home!LOL Will be looking for some articles of yours in the up coming issues.Brady

'73Beautiful Disaster

9. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

JP is probably saying the same thing.
    Rick Pewe leaving, noooooooooo.
    My wife subcribes to JP and I read it all the time. Rick does some outstanding work and not only on Jeeps. He did a great job at 4WOR before he left and will most likely do a great job on his return.
    I always like to read different views about subjects, vehicles and how to do things. I think it will be just as good a magazine as ever.

Go heavy or Go home[​IMG]

10. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Beleive Rick also has a 70's k20.

11. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Let's not forget that David Freiberger (sp?) had that ugly ramcharger and that 1965(?) Ford pickup. They did a number of things to those trucks. We've had cole's chevy for a while now, and there is another ramcharger that's been working it's way into the mag. What's up with Cole, tho? 44s? Where did that come from?

I still think the mag could so much more than it does for the fullsize. 75% of the covers have a fullsize on them. But once inside, there is very little other than buildup things. I want to see some trail covereage, when they are found on hardcore trails or pulling a jeep over a rock.

Pewe is a jeep guy, cole is a FS guy. If the editor (cole) couldn't get more FS in, Pewe certainly won't.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

12. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I contacted all the mags when we had the "Why To K5" run this last July, the only mag that showed interest was 4 Wheeler and they just gave me the run around, so I guess 20+ K5's going wheeling happens all the time and is not worth covering. [​IMG]
    I'm afraid we live in a J**P minded world. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

13. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Exactly what I mean. The only FS-only atricle I recall (it was in 4-wheeler) is the one that the 62-65dieselpage did. Too bad. We need to "lobby" (i.e. bitch) to the magazines for some covereage. Once in a while they throw something in like "here's a fullsize on a jeep run" just to keep us happy. Yeah, that doesn't work for me.

We need to band together with mopars and henrys to form a large club that has fullsize "jamborees" and FS-only trailruns. I'd love to do that.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

14. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

You guys mean to tell me that that page full of Suzuki Samari's in this months mag did not do it for you? Maybe there should be a CK5 magazine brought into publication

15. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

There is a club for FS chevys somewhere in Washington state.I don't remember what it is called but it was in the club section in a mag a while ago.Anyone know of this club?Brady

'73Beautiful Disaster