Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Colin Powell Resigns this morning......

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by surpip, Nov 15, 2004.

1. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

This cant be a good thing, he was very well respected by all the countries we were dealing with, i wonder who they will get to replace him?

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I can't remember where I was reading this, but I'd read that he's wanted to retire for a while. Unfortunately, it will look like dissatisfaction with the Bush admin.
    I read in the same place that Condoleeza wanted to go to California to teach (I guess she was a professor before politics? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif).
    I can't remember where I read it, so I can't remember if it was conjecture or truth... I'd have to guess it's fairly close to truth, the other speculation in it has come out true (ashcroft and the other guy).
    In the same reading, there were several more able people named available for the positions, though.

I imagine the preisdent and his administration have a tough job right now. Not only for the heat the liberals are putting on them, but the stress of running a war as well.

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Ted Nugent................

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

kick assssssss, God, Guns, And Rock and Roll

5. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Colin Powell's loss is huge. I think he is arguably the most respected man in this administration. I know he has butted heads in the past with Rumsfeld and W about the war, but I was sure hoping he would stay on. I think he is still pissed that he got sent to the U.N. to argue about the weapons of mass destruction that didnt exist. Not pointing fingers here, but I bet he is still pissed about that. I dont know that his respectability is replaceable. I would have voted for him had he run for president. Spilt milk.

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

**** Colin Powell /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Bubba, surely you can recognize the benefits of Mr. Powell. Are you intimating your glad he is gone? If so, why? Few are more accomplished than he is in international and military affairs.

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Bubba, surely you can recognize the benefits of Mr. Powell. Are you intimating your glad he is gone? If so, why? Few are more accomplished than he is in international and military affairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I'm glad he is gone. He is not a leader of men. He strode around for years in the Army, and during my time in, he was JCS, just wearing the rank and holding positions of leadership, but the man is not a leader, therefore he is automatically unqualified to be president.

As a statesman, he'll probably go the way of Jimmy Carter. He is not the type of person that instills confidence in me as a statesman either. Powell is a fish out of water. He comes across to me more as a follower whose ambitions of achievement overrided his common sense.

9. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

10. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    Maybe you are fudged, but I am thankfull /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

John

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

IMO powel was a good guy who slowly but surely got infected with Carter disease from over-exposure to those lifers at the state department. Most people don't know it, but the state department is chock full of life-time appeasers, moral cowards and anti-americans. They are more than willing to take negotiate to the point of us having an immoral position that hurts our national security.

this is why whenever I hear on CNN of a report from the State Department, I take it with a beachball-sized grain of salt...

j

12. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I agree with you jek, he started out OK, but I think he wasn't prepared for politics. Can't blame the guy for gettin' out. Just being in close proximity to some of that slime would make you feel dirty for a week. Powell seemed too nice to be a politician.

John

13. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Well, I agree, he may not have been cut out for politics, but I think he was basically a good, intelligent, thoughtful man. I dont pretend to know much about his military record, but if he was chairman of the joint cheifs of staff, that'll qualify for me. I, for one, think his loss is significant to this administration. I would much rather have seen Rumsfeld go...which may well be why Colin decided to go himself, who knows.

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    I dont pretend to know much about his military record, but if he was chairman of the joint cheifs of staff, that'll qualify for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on how people look at it. Being a vet myself, it doesn't hold much weight. I look at the person's history and Powell's history reads more like a person who slid up through the ranks and really wasn't a leader.

15. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

It is not unusual for many positions to change when a president starts their second term. Most of the reasons people move on have nothing to do with their job performance or issues with the president. In fact, when a person leaves their position during the four year stint, that is more of an indicator that things are amiss. When they leave at the end of the term, that is pretty much business as usual for all presidents. Nothing should be read into all these departures. It has happened in the past, and it will happen in the future.

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Exactly. I doubt very many people realize just how taxing working in the presidential administration is. Probably works out like dog years; for every year you age seven. Meetings, travel, meetings, travel; not to mention having to keep up with everything going on. It may not be chopping wood or building roads, but to spend four years as a department head in a administration and not going off the deep end and putting a boot up some reporter's a** for being stupid takes a lot of discipline.

17. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i agree i dont have the tact it would take to be in thier shooes, Must be why i get in trouble so much at work /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

18. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    doubt very many people realize just how taxing working in the presidential administration is.

[/ QUOTE ]

"It's hard work!" "I mean,,,, it's hard bein president..."

19. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Being named CJCOS is a political appointment, even if the person in question is a member of the military.

20. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Really???????????????????????? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Hey, you need to scroll through here the last couple of weeks, some a**bag was trying to flame ya. Search for newbie, you'll find it.

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif