Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

collection agency question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Mar 19, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

collections for household bank got a hold of me about my debt to household bank today, i accidently answered an unavailable call on caller ID and it was collections. they said that if i tried to go with credit counseling to combine both of my debts into one payment a month and reduce APR to 9% then they would deny that,

instyead they want me to pay them(household's collections) 37 bucks a month for just the household debt only and they said that is my only option, i said i would think about it(i didnt know what else to say)

can they do this ?
    i dsont want anything to do with collections, they are saying that i have to do this 37 a month 'option' and they make it sound liek they have power over credit counseling places and can ruin any attempt by me to use that to combine household debt with my other debt i have and reduce the APR too.

wth is up with that ?

he wants me to call him back today, i said whatever

i think he is an idiot,

i want to combine my debts into one and pay towards both with the consumer credit counseling program, i dont think that i need to have anything to do with this stupid collections agency,.

right ?

and yes i explained ot this collection agency about my bveing out of work for about 18 months and all that, they said they understand and that they believe i really do want to take care of all this otherwise i wouldnt be talking to them

well i dont want to talk to them again after them telling me that i have no choice but to pay through them just toward the household debt

i think thats a bunch of B.S. from them,

thanks for anything

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Do what i'm doing with this one place since i too am not working. I send them $5 - $10 per month. As long as they accept the payment, there is no legal action they can take. Cause you are showing and effort and it shows that they are accepting it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Of course the bank employee is gonna insist on the option that makes his employer the most money. That's his job. But insisting on $37/month is quite reasonable in my opinion. If you want to investigate other options such as credit counseling agencies you'd better get busy cause you are multiplying your problems by avoiding them. You had better get this resolved today cause things seem to be closing in on you in a hurry. Understand that not paying anything will not be an option no matter where you go for help. Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

thanks

findng a job ASAP is my only option at this point, nothing good at all is going to happen or can happen until then, i just went and talked to a guy from chicago originally who has been remodeling a local restaurant building and plans on opening on the 5th of arpil and says is hiring 30 to 40 ppl, hope he hires me.

wish me luck

the thing about the 37 bucks a month on just the one debt through this collection agency is that about ten bucks more a month i could be paying off both my debts at the same time each month through the consumer credit counseling deal, and plus way lowered interest on both debts too, down to 9% i was told directly by the debtor that the collection agency has not trying to get a hold of me about.

the credit counseling package is a way better deal, of course, but the collection agency wont let me,. thay say anyways,. they are hurting me more not helping anything,

thanks

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I get hit by collection agency's all the time, usually because I refuse to pay parking tickets.

If you wanna screw with them a little (which I may not recommend, since you're in a cruddy position), demand they have the lender (whoever you owe the money to) send you a letter saying that this particular agency is authorized to collect a debt on thier behalf, and that settling the debt with the collection agency will nullify any obligation you have to the original lender. I mean, reallistically, now that I know you owe Gateway (or was it Dell? a con-man can still look up the details) so much money, I could call you and say I'm joeBlow's collections calling to collect the debt on behalf of Dell, and your only option to get out of this debt is to write a check to me asap. Once I get the check, I can disappear and your debt is unchanged...

As far as your debt problem, as much as I loath collections peeps, $37 a month sounds pretty reasonable. I'm not sure, but I think the credit counseling companies try to strike a deal with the collector, and like any deal, I'm sure the collector can object to the terms and is not obligated to work out a deal.

I just sent back a couple collection notices for some parking tix. I marked them "Not Guilty" and "Please prove guilt". I HATE collection agency's. I can understand a lender/vendor needing to use them, but they're nasty people and don't seem to consider why a person hasn't paid a debt. I guess my reaction is what they already assume, that I just don't want to pay it.

6. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

GOOD LUCK /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif getting the restaurant job! The more you apply the greater the chances of getting a job.

$37/month is not much to pay. Of course you may be able to get a slightly better deal some other way but either way you slice it you have to pay it off. If I remember correctly you only owe a few thousand, like 2K. This really is a small hill to climb but like you said, you have to get money coming in. Dont focus on "they wont let me". You have a self defeating mind set....focus on your strengths instead. You appear to have above average automotive knowledge. You seem to always be working on some automotive project. If you are talented in this area and are interested in this area why not get trained and become a mechanic? You are actually in a great position, think about it. You arent mired down in a dead end job, you dont have a job. You arent married (I dont think you are ??) and supporting a family, you dont have a mortgage, car payment. What better time than now to start calling tech schools? Dont worry about paying for it, often they offer student loans or grants. Dont take no for an answer, decide this is what you WILL do and make it happen. The first school you look at may not work out. The second may not work out. The 8th may. Run a google search and see what you find. The sky is the limit, the possibilities are endless but success will NEVER fall in your lap, you must chase it down and conquer it! You could get trained for a rewarding career that makes you $$$ and you could live anywhere you want doing what interests you.

7. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

Tell him, at the end of every month you put all the names of creditor's you owe in a hat. Then you draw out ten (or whatever) that you can afford to pay. Tell him if he calls you again, his name is not going in the hat. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Also I had an account with those A$$holes at Household Bank. I closed it after I found out your payment has to be in their office two days before the due date or they asses a late charge. What the hell is the due date for??? Idiot policy's designed to rip you off. They deserve to get shafted.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Collection agency use threats and intimadation tactics 90% of the time. They can screw up your credit, but I don't think they can do much more then that.

9. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

The wife and I were going thru some crap like that from our business. Our credit card machine company was trying to say we owed then more money since we closed our business earlier than planned. They were trying to make us personally pay for the rest of the lease and that wasn't gonna happen. They tried for a year and a half, always calling and sending letters. They put a bad mark on the wife credit but we disputed that. Last week we recieved a statement from them showing a "ZERO" balance....FINALLY!

10. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Is this company known actually as HFC by chance? If so, I feel for you. They are horrible and will not work with you.