Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

College/Girls...argh...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Avery4jc, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

for some reason its all hitting me tonight...UC applications are due Thursday...thinking about applying to some individual CSU's...maybe the city college as a way backup plan...then applying to ACU in Texas where my sis is for possibly doing general ed there....phew.
    This girl I really like was talking to me over Thanksgiving break about her finishing her UC application and being so relieved...it seems like everyone is on the ball w/ this stuff but me!
    I don't know what to do...I've gotten so tired of everyone asking me were I'm going and what I'm doing next year that I've started to just tell them Canada (you have a spare room CanMan?)
    But this is such bull sh!t sometimes...everyone is so worried about what they are going to do next year that they are missing out on what we have for our last Semester as a high school student...part time jobs...chasing after the girl I really like...working on my rig...late night projects that should have been done weeks before...it's some good times my friends and I don't want them to end...I know that it'll be fun in college but it'll NEVER be the same.

Ok, I'm going to go look at those online UC apps. and see whats up and if I even want to do them...the only school besides a local one I'm interested in is CalPoly and I think its a direct app. school because its a CSU so I might not even do anything for now....I'm taking the SAT on Saturday so thas a good first step!

-A

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  2. Avery4jc

don't all jump in at once guys...I'll be ok....

-A

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Take a year off.
    Buy a motorcycle.
    Ride it to Nova Scotia on back roads (in the summer).

Then be at peace and a little more grown up when you're entering your first year of higher education. :waytogo:

4. Avery4jc

sounds stressful...plus EVERYONE that I've talked to said if you don't get started right into your college years you won't ever start.

You know guys...I've been talking to my buddy all night and I think the base of all this stress is in regards to the girl that I like...its so freakin' hard to get a conversation going with her....I've talked it out and we are in agreement that its time for some drastic measures...I'm going to ask her to go somewhere w/ me...nothing crazy but just something for the evening. Straight up yes/no response...no bull. Then I can either rejoice and start getting to know her better or I can start to get over her....

-A

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm tellin ya man, you don't see the world the same from a cage window that you do with the wind blowing your snot across your cheeks...

I should have taken a year off before going to college. Instead I took ten years off after my second year.

About the girl... Just keep it simple. Chicks will keep things plenty complicated for the rest of your life. Don't stress over them, just keep it nuts and bolts and buy flowers now and then.

6. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

That feeling is the first inkling of becoming a responsible adult, responsible for your own life and decisions. Your whole iife up to this point has been set up for you - grade school, jr. high, high school.... you have always known what was coming up. Working with college students, and prospective college students every day, I can tell you that those who wait, or put off what they need to do, suffer. Up to this point your schooling has been given to you by law. Now you will have to fight for it. Just hit it head on, and don't give up. How hard you are willing to fight for what you want now, will be reflected in what you get.

Something to remember, just about every senior is going to get this feeling so you are not alone. You just had the cajones to admit it. :D

Good luck.

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, I gotta be honest here... My college advice was really stupid...

8. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

well let me tell you.. im in... eh i guess should be 3rd yr? at a local community college here.. i graduated.. didnt know what else to do so i went there.. just have been feeling it out.. tryign to figure out WTF im gonna be doing w/ my life... s o now 2.5yrs later or so.. i figured it out.. and im gonna transfer to a real school for a teaching degree... takes a long time.. and can be very stressful to try to figure it all out. Especially when eveyrone else around u already knows exactly what they want.. i dont know how those kids do.. but hey, everyones different.. just take ur time w/ it.. and dont feel to pressured to be in a set degree by next year at some big college.... im happy i didnt!

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

lose the mullet for sure...

DO NOT tell her you love her if you're "chasing her", a) you'll scare her away, and b) you dont have even the slightest clue what that word means...

10. Avery4jc

yeah...its just hard sometimes...I really like her but its up and down...you know how you can get information from someone without actually having anything to do with what your talking about...

i.e. you ask her how many siblings she has...

she answers 5 (just an example)

you say something stupid like wow that must be rough...

she can say yes....or she can say yes, but its not all that bad, how about you?

same question...two answers but they mean more...the first one is from her because she is just a really sweet girl who is willing to talk....the second answer means that she doesn't really care about what you are talking about but she just wants to talk to you about it.

So heres the deal...sometimes I get yes/no, one or two word answers...other times I get essays....its so confusing for my simple mind.

I've also solicited the help of some fellow students...actually not people I hang w/ but I know them and I wanted an outside perspective on the deal...they said that she is just really shy when it comes to relationships which is why she is acting like she is....

I don't know...all I know is its driving me crazy...mixed signals...

-A

11. Avery4jc

lol, its just a joke...

-A

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

words of an obsessed stalker in training... :doah:

13. Avery4jc

looking a little deeper into someone and how they talk to you isn't what I'd consider stalking...it shows that you actually care about them.

-A

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Ya know on second thought, I think getting a motorcycle and touring the country is pretty good advice.

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

believe me, being able to do whatever the hell you want... when you want... outweighs "missing out" on those good times in highschool. If I want to wake up at 6am and beat on something on my K5 with a BFH... I can... and no parent or anyone else can stop me. Like Mel Gibson said in Braveheart. FREEEEDOOOOOOOMMMMM!!!! :)

j

16. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Don't worry man -- Many of us are in the same boat. I'm still not sure where everything is going, but I'm taking the next 9 months off to work, before I hit the campus again. I rushed into my schooling, with no direction, or motivation, and I got my butt handed to me.

As mentioned above, up till now, everything has been laid down for us, we were required to do everything, and teachers coddled us along to make sure we got it done. Now in the college / university world, you have to want your education, and without any direction or motivation, you are setting up for dissapointment. That isn't to say you can't enter a general feild that interests you and test the waters, but you need great motivation to pull that off. If you've got a direction, then you are automatically motivated to succeed.

My hope is that several months of work in a field that I am considering will either convince me to continue with my current direction of schooling in a more general, scientific direction, or if I want to change gears entirely, and transfer over to a technical school. Not that it ends there either, once I finish school, I need to decide if I want to go to work, and stay at work, or if I want to again try the whole university thing, and get a real degree.

Best advice I can offer -- Take everything one step at a time, and don't freak out over the big picture, becuase you're just gonna get depressed, lol

Oh, and don't worry about the girl, you won't have time for her at post secondary :P

17. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Dude, two things coming from a guy who went to a state university right after high school, flunked out, worked for a semester, and is now doing a whole lot better in school:

1.) If you don't think you're ready for college, don't go until you are. Take a semester off, work, play, and get a little more of a feel for what life's like on your own. I wasn't ready when I went off the first time, and it screwed me. College IS overwhelming, especially at first, but from my limited experience, it doesn't get any better. So work your way up to it.

2.) Don't overthink things with this girl. Find somethin to take your mind off it once in a while, because an obsession isn't the best way to get a girl's attention, and whether you admit it or not, you're obsessed with this girl (not to worry though, we've all done it before, and look how we turned out

...nevermind, bad example).

What I'm sayin is, don't jump into this headfirst, even if she does take a liking to you.

18. Avery4jc

*sigh* I know...normally I just use my truck to take my mind off of things but that isn't working now...I think I really just need to talk to her. She has absolutely no idea how I feel.

-A

19. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

That's generally the first step. :D

She ain't a mind reader (well, not yet), so get on it.

But like it's been mentioned before, avoid the L-word at all costs.

20. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

I second that motion :D .

I can't say go to college right after high school because I didn't. If I had it to do over, I probably still wouldn't do it because of how things were at home for me at that time. I needed to get the hell out or lose my sanity.

the thing about "if you don't go now, then you'll never go" line is that, just a line. I know several people my age who are going to college or just finished, and know several who are older doing the same. it all depends on what you want and what you set your mind to accomplish. I've also heard that an older person will learn more than a younger person because that's what they want and they're settled more, less partying.

I'm in the process of getting my ducks in a row to start in January. it may be just a few classes here and there to start, but that's my plans right now, and it's been over 15 yrs since I've been out. yes, I feel old :doah: especially after seeing those younger students.