Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

College, grades, tests, and wrenching.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by camok10, May 5, 2004.

1. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

I can't stand professors that have the mentality that because you have low grade that you are a bad person. I really cant stand when a teacher looks down upon students who have low marks like they are scum and eventually will be oiling the lanes at their local bowling alley, or stuffing french fries in a cardboard box for the rest of their lives. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Grades are not reflections of a persons values or morals. They are statistics for judging knowlegde of specific subjects and should not be used to rank ones worth as a human being.

SO F*CKING WHAT if i choose to spend my time with a wrench in my hand, grease on my face, and nothing but lint in my pockets? Can i get an AMEN?! What if i am content with a mediocre life and a mediocre job? People need to start setting goals for themselves, and stop letting others force their image if sucess upon them.

Seriously. I mean hey.

Its the end of the semester, and Im getting worked up, strung out, and shot down all at the same time. I needed to let off some steam. I have a test today, (wed). and i think i dont want to think about it.

So, to end, and in light of all this chaose and turmoil over the last 2 weeks i think there is only one true solution: ORDER MY ORD CROSSOVER KIT!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif and forget everything!!!

2. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

Who say's wrenching is a mediocre job? I work w/ alot of diesel techs that make good money and work hard. You have to remember that most prof's live in a imaginary world we call college. These are the one's who go to college and decide they never want to leave. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong w/ teaching either, but some of them think since all they did in school was lick book marks all day while you were lickin pu$$ that you should be the same as them. Don't let one prof get you down, there are alot of great teachers out there that will work w/ you if you just ask. I know I had several grades changed from b's to a's and d's to c's just by asking if there was anything I could do to get a better grade or if they could just help me out. Just try and pick a career that you think you will be happy at the rest of your life. Hell, I still have not figured it out yet!! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

That's why I don't like the education system, if you aren;t teaching basic fact like geometry, you're getting a lot of the teachers opinion, which can be very scewed at times

4. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I thought the same way as you when I was in college, just ended up getting my AA degree and split, I HATED school. I hated the professors, the structure, the studying about "stupid" stuff that I would never use anyway.......now I would give anything to go back in time and get my BA, at least. I didnt even try to get good grades. There's nothing wrong with wrenching (I did it myself) but you may eventually want to make more money or you may get old and achey and want to do something else some day. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Yeah lots of profs have NO idea that world exists outside academia /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif All my frineds choose to sped their free time studying. while I get my work done, when it is DONE, I break out the beer, work on the truck and call over the hot lady friends (man doesn't that sound like a fun time: A wrenching party with all the hot girlies keeping track of my "tools") /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Anyhow, I know where you are coming from man.

Chris

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I struggled through HS courses and almost didn't graduate buecause my English teacher was a B!TCH and was constantly ragging on me. I took the required english math and science courses, I opted out of the foreign language courses that was required and I took all metals, wood working, automotive, dafting, photography, digital imaging, printing and CAD classes I could and thats the way I liked it. I got good grades in the things I was interested in. In english class I got ragged on because I didn't like reading and was bad at spelling and in the metal shop I got to setup, calibrate and program a 100K$ digital lath and make chess pieces... thats a no brainer I liked the Industraial Technology classes!
    In autoshop I worked on people vehicles doing oil changes and brake job and made money doing it /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif (we also made sqaure driveshafts in 94/95 for a free s10 blazer that GM gave us to work on) in the math classes we TALKED about money and numbers while in shop I was making money.

After graduation I decided I wanted to go to college, I ended up at Ball State. I tested out of two english classes and with my SAT scores I got put in advanced math and english classes. I ended up going to a handfull of the english classes and aced both of them. I got my transcript and took to my HS english teacher to say HA! WHAT DO YOU THING ABOUT THAT! I aced those classes and I didn't even go to class half the time! HA..... You know what that crazy b!tch said!? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I guess I taught you right and got you prepared for college /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif SON OF A B!TCH she did it again /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

7. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Yeah, I got a 4.2 in high school and am barely making 2.5 at college. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Who say's wrenching is a mediocre job? I work w/ alot of diesel techs that make good money and work hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank was not what I was trying to say. I wasn't sayint that wrenching was a mediocre job, but a lot of uneducated people (professors) think that being an auto mechanic is among the ranks of janitor or burger jocky. This is not true, however i was just trying to make my point, i wasn't sayin it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Depending on the career path that you choose, you could be studying all of your life. I've been in the computer biz for the last 25 years. Most of what I have had to learn to stay current has become obsolete in 24 months or less. Needless to say, I have done a LOT of reading and studying over the years! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Now I've decided to make a total career change, so for the next few years I'll be working my a$$ off while studying to get all the licenses and certifications required to become a Certified Financial Planner. Yes, it will be a lot of work, but the rewards of the future far outweigh the sacrifices of today.

You're at a stage in life where the choices that you make will affect how you live for the rest of your life. Work hard, make good grades, and get a good job and you'll live better for the next 60-70 years. Goof off, build trucks, and make bad grades now and your quality of life will be changed forever. Once you get married, have kids, a mortgage, two car payments, etc. it is MUCH harder to change your path in life. Decide today how you want to live tomorrow. Being poor and all that may be fine for a college kid, but someday you will want more... Get that good job and you will have the choice in the future as to whether you spend your weekends fixing your rig or wheeling it. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I could go on and on but the theme would just remain the same. It's like the story of the ant and the grasshopper. Work hard today so that you can have more tomorrow. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, I got a 4.2 in high school and am barely making 2.5 at college.

[/ QUOTE ]
    It worked just the opposite for me. I didn't give a rats a$$ about grades in high school. I knew exactly what I had to do to just barely make passing grades. Once I got a taste of the real world (working construction jobs in Florida), I decided to get my butt back in school and learn what I needed to have a nice, cushy, indoor career. I graduated with a degree in Computer Engineering Technology and a 3.97 GPA (One "B" in the first semester screwed me outta that 4.0!). /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Depending on the career path that you choose, you could be studying all of your life. I've been in the computer biz for the last 25 years. Most of what I have had to learn to stay current has become obsolete in 24 months or less. Needless to say, I have done a LOT of reading and studying over the years! Now I've decided to make a total career change, so for the next few years I'll be working my a$$ off while studying to get all the licenses and certifications required to become a Certified Financial Planner. Yes, it will be a lot of work, but the rewards of the future far outweigh the sacrifices of today.

You're at a stage in life where the choices that you make will affect how you live for the rest of your life. Work hard, make good grades, and get a good job and you'll live better for the next 60-70 years. Goof off, build trucks, and make bad grades now and your quality of life will be changed forever. Once you get married, have kids, a mortgage, two car payments, etc. it is MUCH harder to change your path in life. Decide today how you want to live tomorrow. Being poor and all that may be fine for a college kid, but someday you will want more... Get that good job and you will have the choice in the future as to whether you spend your weekends fixing your rig or wheeling it.

I could go on and on but the theme would just remain the same. It's like the story of the ant and the grasshopper. Work hard today so that you can have more tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good reply, there's a lot of wisdom here. Take it from us older guys and get your education /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You're at a stage in life where the choices that you make will affect how you live for the rest of your life. Work hard, make good grades, and get a good job and you'll live better for the next 60-70 years. Goof off, build trucks, and make bad grades now and your quality of life will be changed forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this, and I am working real hard. Again my point was that im tired of others, mainly teachers, looking down on people who do this kind of work. I know i dont want to be scraping the couch for the car payment, and the morgage....i work my ass off to the point that i slide off chairs now when i try to sit down. but its ok cause i know that my goals will be acomplished, not he goals that other people think i should set. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Amen brother.

Right now i'm taking Chemistry, PreCalculas/Trig, and English 1B. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    My Precalc class is awsome because the teacher is the best math teacher i've ever had.. He wants to see everyone pass his class with a B and tries hard to make sure everyone understands the material.
    ...My Chemistry teacher, quite the opposite.. throws the material out there for you in her lectures and on the board.. you ask a question and almost get yelled at.. The tests are the Hardest possible questions, and the teacher is trying to make you fail instead of pass the class. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    Its just uphill from here looking at Calculas, Physics, and Engineering Classes ahead next semester.

I've taken many auto tech classes: Engine, Chassis, Electrical systems, schematic diagnosis, electronics, auto mechanisims, suspension steering alignment, engine machining, auto tranny repair & advanced diagnosis...
    All these classes I can seem to not even buy the textbook and get in an A or B in them. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif If it applies to my hobby of working on my truck or car than its easy for me to learn.
    I Really should have taken ASE tests right after each of the classes instead of thinking about doing it now. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

14. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Once you get married, have kids, a mortgage, two car payments, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, some people ruled out that path a while ago....

15. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It worked just the opposite for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. As soon as the tuition was taken out of my account, I was determined to get my money's worth! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

i wish to hell my school offered automotive electives. maybe then i might actually care about electives. screw "seminar in composition" or "service learning."

17. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

I've taken many auto tech classes: Engine, Chassis, Electrical systems, schematic diagnosis, electronics, auto mechanisims, suspension steering alignment, engine machining, auto tranny repair & advanced diagnosis...

[/ QUOTE ]

good lord... i wish my freekin school had classes like these.....that would be super kick a$$ /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif