Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

college people help me...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Aug 8, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I'm not looking to go to college yet, I'm still in highschool. But I was just fishing around prices, so when I do go, I won't have debt!
    I was looking at UNOH.edu and it says 1100$ per course... and "High performance motorsports" is a 2 year program, but I can't see it only being 1100$ for the course. Can someone solve this riddle?

course
    tution

NOTE:This is not the college, or the course I will be taking, I am just LOOKING around!

2. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

im paying a crap load like 1100 for a three week phase at UTI on IL

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

what course are you doing, and how many weeks is it?

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

What is it you want to do?

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

A course is generally 3 credit hours...
    there are 102 hours in your course work...
    102 / 3 = is 34 courses
    34 x $1100 per course would be about $37,400 /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I neeed to pick 34 courses? There is only 5 in the auto technology from UNOH /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

I want to work in a auto fab shop. So i want to know everything about building engines, workiong on them, everything about cars/trucks, and how to TIG, MIG, and fabricate everything, body parts, etc. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

for the major you posted there are these COURSES

[ QUOTE ]
    Technical Requirements Instructional Hours Credit Hours
    AU116 Manual Drive Trains and Axles 120 6
    AU117 Automatic Transmissions/Transaxle 120 6
    AU118 Transportation Air Conditioning and Refrigeration 120 6
    AU122 Automotive Engine Diagnosis and Repair 120 6
    AU123 Electrical and Electronics I 120 6
    AU126 Suspension and Steering 120 6
    AU127 Hydraulic Brake Systems 120 6
    AU128 Electrical and Electronics II 120 6
    AU130 Automotive Engine Performance 120 6
    AU132 Computerized Engine Control Systems 120 6
    HP101 High Performance Suspension and Steering 120 6
    HP102 High Performance Drive Lines 120 6
    HP130 High Performance Engine Machining 120 6
    HP200 High Performance Fuel Systems/Electronics/Ignition 120 6
    HP201 High Performance Custom Engine Building 120 6
    Total General Hours 1800 90

General Education & Related Requirements Instructional Hours Credit Hours
    CO179 Introduction to Human Communication 3 3
    DP105 Introduction to Microcomputing 3 3
    MH110 Applied Mathematics 60 5
    UN070 Success Stragegies 8 1
    Total General Hours 74 12
    Total Hours For Graduation 1874 102

[/ QUOTE ]

this is one course ---> AU116 Manual Drive Trains and Axles (this course has 6 credit hours, and 120 class hours)
    If its $1100 per course, then its $1100 per line above ^
    19 courses at $1100 is $20,900 for that degree/title/major

to add to that it also says
    [ QUOTE ]
    NOTE: This is NOT a curriculum iteration sheet. Therefore, it should not be used for the purpose of planning your requirements for graduation. Please see the registrar of your college for this important document if you do not have this document.

[/ QUOTE ]

so those courses listed are an idea of the required courses, chances are there are more, like intro classes and advanced, etc.

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

yikes!! Maybe I should look around

9. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

how old are you steve?

i didnt know u were a fellow highschooler. I was guna ask the same question today but never got around to it. I want to go to Orange Coast college in orange county or arizona state or oklahoma state college.

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

what are you going for?

11. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

No idea... im a junior right now so i got some time to think

12. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Good luck not having a lot of debt... My suggestion is work your ASS of in high school and apply for every scholarship and grant you are eligible for... Trust me... Had I known in high school what I know now (oh look, a cliche!), I'd probably not be living with my parents... and instead of being in the Air National Guard, I'd be doing ROTC at CSU on the government's money...

It's all working out for me, but if there's one think I wish I would've done different, it's finishing high school and doing damn good at it instead of settling for a GED after a low-C average 2 years...

13. 4wood

4wood 1/2 ton status

My dad had a professional college planner lady help me out when I was applying to school (mostly b.s. but I got some good advice from her). So here is my semi-professional advice for you:

Like Capman2k said, apply relentlessly for scholarships. There are the most random ones out there (like 'Descendents of Hugonots that want to major in Auto Fab' or whatever) that hardly anyone applies for, so your competition is minimal. Also, even if it's only $100, the little ones add up. I am attending Georgia Tech ( /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif) on 2 scholarships and a book stipend and that takes quite a bit of sting out of the bill.

Also, don't worry too much about collegic curriculum if you're only a junior. Just do the best you can in high school and worry about your credit hours and classes when you get INTO the college you want to attend.

Last one. Talk to your high school guidance counselor. Most are dumb (like mine was ) but they do have helpful info on scholarships and setting yourself up to apply for college. As a bonus, if you make friends with them, they may write you a happy letter of recommendation when you apply for school/scholarships!

Hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. FatBoyBlazer

16 course just straight AUTOMOTIVE

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay thanks, I guess I will just hold off for looking. One question though, whats the average price to go to college/university to complete a full course? (including books if there is any) ?

16. FatBoyBlazer

you should get a hold of your local rep they can get you all set up with prices and all that happy horse crap /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I still need to figure out where Im going though. I have no clue /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

18. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I was looking at around $18,000 a year at the University of Northern Colorado (out of state) for tuition, books, room, and food...

around $22,000 at Colorado State University...

Just go to websites, they usually list their prices... From what I hear, $18k a year for out of state isn't too horribly bad... Just when you only get $15,000 in financial aid, and nothing saved, it gets to be a problem... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay. I'll start saving, and keep my eyes open for credits, (or whatever someone called them) so it'll make it easier to get in.

20. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I graduated in '03. I wanted to go to a school like UTI or Wyotech, but taking to people who actually went there and such, I decided not to. UTI, atleast the campus closest to me, I just heard nothing but bad things about it.

As for Wyotech, well thats the school I was going to go to, but I started taking classes at the local junior college its probablly one of the best things to happen to me yet. I will be getting my AS degree in automotive technology, which is a little better then what youd get a a trade school , such as UTI, but a helluva lot cheaper. In addition to that I also took the smog classes, (also cheper through the school) and now have my smog license(this probablly doesnt matter to you if your not in CA), and will making great money, to open my own smog station. Since my schools a traning site for GM techs, I also am doing the things to become a GM tech (want to be a service writer for a little bit). I also have some ASE certifications.

I know thats probablly not what you guys want to do, you want to do the custom stuff. Before I started school at the JC I wanted to go to Wyotech and take the custom suspension class. My goal was to open my own custom suspension shop. After talking to a few people I thought it would be better to get my degree in automotive technology at the junior college (remember you have to do all the same classes at those trade schools), save money, then go to Wyotech.

I know how you guys feel and you know what you want to do( thats good, like me!) and no ones gonna change you mind, but seriously consider your options, and dont jump into it, like my buddie just did. Theres more general auto jobs out there to make some money, then the "fab" jobs the schools make tell you youll get upon completion.

Geeze you guys probablly think I sound like you parents now.