Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

College student looking for off-road engineering experience

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mat_burn, Nov 3, 2004.

1. mat_burn

mat_burn Newbie

I'm studying mechanical engineering right now and want to get some real, hands-on experience designing and/or fabricating custom off-road parts. Do you have any suggestions on good places to look or people to talk to about internship/employment opportunities? Thanks!

2. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Where are you located?
    What types of previous experience?
    There are always people looking to have their fab shops cleaned etc. That is an easy way to get into the bus. and start making contacts. After a while you can begin moving towards helping a fab guy with easier brackets and things and start learning the trade.

BTW Fill out you profile when you get the chance.

3. fordcummins1

fordcummins1 1/2 ton status

Telling us a geograhpic location on where you are or would like to go would be a great start.

On Edit I see that I just got beat to making this point

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It all depends on where you are living right now. If you live any where around North Carolina or Indianapolis, then you should try to get on with a NASCAR or NHRA team; but if you live on the west coast, then you could try getting involved with either "Best in the Dessert" or the SCORE off road racing sanctioning body, in order to make connections with off road race teams.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

6. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

i'm working on the mini baja competition right now as a senior design project. if you have that program at your school, join it asap. there are many engineers in industry that have fond memories of mini baja. plus the more years you are involved in it the more you will know and be able to talk intelligently about.

and if anyone is looking for such a person, please pm me. i'm looking for a job come may. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. mat_burn

mat_burn Newbie

I am currently looking for opportunities in the Rocky Mountain states (Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah)from January through August.

My previous experience includes:
    -MIG, arc, and torch welding skills
    -member of Duke FSAE team
    -Bicycle fabricator
    -AutoCAD drafter

Any concrete leads on possible opportunities greatly appreciated.

8. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I remember Steve Frisbie( I think) looking for help at Missouri Offroad
    Maybe try to contact him.
    Could have been a company in Louisiana too...cant remember for sure

9. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

There is only one answer to your question.

Mini Baja

I was involved with this while at Northeastern University. The competition is sponsored by the Society of Automotive Engineers and it is sick.

You design and fabricate a complete off road vehicle and then go out and compete against other schools.

There is also the Formula SAE competition that I do not know much about.

Go to www.SAE.org then go to student competitions. Get some ideas and start a club at your school.

Mini Baja was almost dead at Northeastern when we got it going.

check out our website
    www.numotorsports.com
    Look at the pictures section.

Email me with any questions you may have.
    mick@coe.neu.edu

Mini Baja definitely changed my life. Do not delay, this is the answer.

-Chris

10. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

When you say off road parts do you mean racing parts, or parts for sale?

If you are thinking racing parts as in working for a racing team, having gone down that road (several times) I have two pieces of advice:

1) Don't. There's nothing cool or romantic about working 37 hours straight to prep the car and then fix the damage from testing only to have the driver wad up the RF corner of the car 3 minutes into the race. The Pit Lizards aren't all they're cracked up to be. Oh, and track dogs for breakfast are funny once, only.

2) If you ignore #1, make sure you have your credit card with you at all times (the one NOT maxed out). This is so that when have had it up to <font color="red"> Here </font> with the BS &amp; lack of sleep you will have a way to get home.

If you insist on going racing I suggest that you find a local team and volunteer to crew for them. That opens up doors like nothing else will. If it is specifically off road racing you want into, you might start by clicking the link in my sig file.

Know that if you find a position with a big name in aftermarket parts that more than a few of them think that they're doing you a favor by hiring you into their industry. Read: They won't pay you what you could earn in a field maybe not so romanticized, like designing toasters. BT, DT - MIGHT have learned from it.