Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

College/University homework

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Oct 20, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Everyone who is in, or was in College or University, could you tell me what you your career was/is after you graduate, and how much homework you have on average, per night?
    I talked to one guy here and he is taking a few classes of physics, chem, and calculus for something, and he says he has around 6-8hrs of homework each night.

How much did you, or do you have on average?

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm going into mechanical engineering and on average I have 2-3 per day. I'm not trying to toot my own horn but I'm a pretty bright kid so I'd say most people have 4-5 on average and it gets more intense from here on out.

One thing you have to remember about college is that you have gaps during the day in between classes where you can get lots of stuff done.

EDIT: Just to give you an idea, most of my homework consists of studying calculus and doing lab reports for chemistry. When I have to write a program for C++ that definitely bumps it up as well.

3. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Im a Horticulture Major with a Junior standing. I on average have around 8 hours or so a week, usually less, only more when I have exams. Hardest thing I have is trying to learn 150 trees and about 100 flowers a semester for identification and learning latin names and spelling....

4. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

Right now i am enrolled in a JUCO for sports, and my major is liberal arts. The school is small, the classes are small, and the amount of homework you get is small. I'm holding a 4.0 and i have never even come close to that gpa in high school. After the JUCO i plan on going to a 4 year to get a masters in Architecture/Residential Design..

I'm sure the 4 year universities are way harder with classes and hw then any JUCO but i've heard of people who transfer to 4 year schools after 2 years in a JUCO and they were at the same pace as the people that have been at the University..

5. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I went to two years for ag business. Homework came and went when stuff was easy no real need to study, and homework could be done in well under an hour, harder stuff could take up to 2 1/2 - 3. Some big projects we did, took as long as you wanted. And then some nights Ill I did was study aluminum cans and their contents :D

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Im a mechanical engineer, and have maybe an hr a night, but of course, Im in all easy classes to get my gpa up so Im not out on my ass. Before this semester it was 3-4hrs.

7. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

I'm in college right now. I've never really had that much homework mainly because all I've taken is screen printing, art, digital pre press, graphic designs classes. Alot of the work is lab hours. I should probably start taking my general ed classes but I’ll wait on that for a little longer.

8. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

When I was at college studying Metalurgical engineering, I was studying for an average of 5-6 hour per day. Including weekends. Time really flies when you are really interested in the subjects that you are studying.

I like to figure things out.

9. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I'm a sophomore in college majoring in history with a double minor in political science/millitary science. Homework comes and goes. Depends on the reading needed before the class each day. Usually I only really "study" before tests. It's not bad at all. As mentioned above, you have alot of time during the day to get stuff done so its not to bad.

On a side note, are you comin to texas? I saw that post in the regions forum(and replied to it) askin about texas. So whats the story there? You comin/movin here or what? If you make it down this way, look me up, it would be sweet to meet a fellow ck5ers.

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Not moving soon. Not for a few years.

11. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Geography major.

One thing I noticed is that the first couple of years while your taking your core classes is that you have more and less homework at the same time. What I mean is that I had a lot more homeowrk tasks that were mandentory whereas in the upper level classes your just expected to study the stuff and learn it yourself so when test day comes around you can show what effort youve been putting in.

it also seems that the upper level classes were more project oriented. Instead of a little hour long assignment each afternoon that would be taken up the next class there would be more really big projects that you had to work on for weeks at a time before you turned it in.

Thats just my personal observation though.

12. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

crap, I skated by, maybe 2 hours a night for 15 credits. Trick is to take BS classes like speech and social work and CJ classes to balance it out. Not using my degree a BIT, didn't even help me get a home loan or lower my insurance rates, I'm working as a graphic designer for the same place I've worked since high school :doah: But, it pays big money to work on my projects, and I only really have to work in the summer, and even then about 4 hours of real work a day. :D

13. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

bsme degree. depending on the classes, i usually had 2 hours of work, but i am a bit slow and perhaps a bit lexdisic :wink1: so it took me longer. steve, one thing i have heard before and can verify from personal experiences is that in college you will study/work harder than you have in your whole life. on the other hand, you will have more fun and party more than you have in your whole life. and yes, being interested in the subject matter helps the time go by. for whatever reason, i enjoy thermal systems, don't ask me why sifting through hundreds of correlations for an appropriate equation is enjoyable.

after all my hard work and fun, i am working for peterbilt motors as a design engineer. very soon i will be working on a new truck model prototype. its a 387 daycab, a more aerodynamic model and brother to the 387 we build.

14. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Industrial & Electronic Design: I have about 2 hrs a night. Some of my profs assign homework but do not collect or set a due date. But if you do not do the homework your screwed. I have to do all of it so I can learn!!! Stupid profs that cant speak english!!!!

15. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The T.A. for one of my labs is foreign, it's frustrating as all hell.

16. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Well for the first 13 weeks of the semester, I have zero homework or studying, then for some reason it increases to about 20 hours a day between then and the end of the semester. Always seems to work out that way. :doah:

17. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

LOL, It’s the opposite for me. I work 15 hours a week as a T.A for 2 classes and there’s some students that I can't understand a damm word there saying. So many asains at my school. very frustrating.