Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Collision / auto tech's HELP please!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CCRider, Jan 24, 2003.

1. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

Collision / auto tech\'s HELP please!!!

I am borrowing a 1993 Mx-6 mazda , while my K5 is down for rebuild ,and screwed it up last week !!!!!! bottomed out REALLY hard and set off airbag!!!!! Got a replacement one off of e-bay and was wondering if anyone can give me any info on replacing it!!!! Will it go off when I turn key on ????(I will disconnect battery of course while doing the install ) is the sensor that detected the impact screwed??? is the airbag module in need of replacement??? I know disconnecting the battery will reset the computer(s) but how will it affect the whole deal here????I need Info ASAFP!!!!! I need it in Tomorrow!!!! Thanks....................CC /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Re: Collision / auto tech\'s HELP please!!!

I don't know about Mazda's but I used to work at a Toyota dealer. On the Toyota's if the bag deployed then the effected sensor AND the (seperate) air bag computer had to be replaced. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Good luck.

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Your best bet is to call a Mazda shop and ask for advice. I have replaced hundreds of bags and theres a lot of different things that CAN be bad. The "clock spring" is the most common. I am just not super familiar w/ Mazdas.

One thing to note tho. Disconnect the NEG side 1st, and reconnect NEG last, on any air bag equipped car. Or so they say anyhow. I guess the thinking is there is less chance of a spark by breaking the NEG and connecting the NEG to complete the circut.

What I always do when I get in the first time, in theory, the bag should blow when the battery is connected, but I do this anyhow.....Put the seat as far back as you can w/ out having to REACH for the key, tilt the wheel down to hit you in the chest incase it does go (and not snap your head up), and turn the key.

Hope this helps you at all. No matter how many I have done they still spook me. LOL!

4. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the reply's guys , Anyone else ????? I talked to a friend and he said to run a diagnostic with a scanner to check for problems 1st , and then go about the swap , still not sure on the sensors though!! As far as the battery , I always disco and reconnect that way for the reasons you stated ...Again thanks and keep the info coming!!!!I knew I could count on you guys to provide advice/info!!!.............CC /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Whoa hey you got to not only take off battery but wait about 30mins after doing this as the airbag has a backup battery in case you shut off your car then BAM!!!!!!!!you get nailed the air bag will still go off so after 30mins the back up should be outta juice but if before then it could go off in your FACE!!! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif SPLAT that would suck so wait at least 30 mins in fact call and ask the Dealership techs BE SAFE A AIRBAG AT CLOSE RANGE TO THE FACE WILL [censored] YOU UP BIG TIME /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

6. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

You don't have to tell me!!!!! Where do you think the first one went!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I was wanting to go off road , but not like that!!!! Mx-6's suck off road!!!! Stupid airbags!!!!! Mor help if anyone else has input ??? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Once the bag(s) go off there will be a hard code stored in the SRS ecu. The light will stay on on the dash and the bags will not operate. Most manuf. rec. replacement of the unit and sensors, some even say the wiring. If this is not your car and you repair it and give it back with out saying anything(not that you would) and something happens and the bags do not go off.............well I think you get it.
    BTW do the seat belts still work?

8. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

Seat belts work fine , probably going to replace the sensors , airbag module and the clockspring? , what the hell is that??? put in the bag , just didn't plug it in yet , Owner knows , could really care less , I just don't feel right giving it back worse than when I got it!!! I will have someone run the codes and such , and see what's up...........Thanks...........CC /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Try to get insurance to cover it. If the bags went off there is probibly damage under the car as well. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif