Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

COLLISION!! Now the other guy's ins. is screwing me! Advice?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 83ZZ502_Jimmy, Jun 5, 2002.

1. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

COLLISION!! Now the other guy\'s ins. is screwing me! Advice?

OK here's the story.

I was driving down the road going through a green light. A gentleman decides to make a left turn into me. ( he had a yeild on green ) I was driving the 87 K5. He hits me at the rear wheel, putting a nice dent in the fender above the wheel. Messes up the trim and scratches the wheel. Mind you I just put on a 2.5" lift and new wheels and tires.

This truck has always been so original. No rust, great exterior, interior, and mechanicals....

Well, the guy admits he's wrong like 100 times. To me and the cops. I figure this shouldnt be too hard. I mean he admitted he's wrong and all.

Well it takes like 2 weeks for his ins. to look at it. They say, well it can be repaired. But it will take a lot of body filler IMO. I told them I wanted a new panel, but they couldnt pay for that. The body shop I have used for years, says not to repair unless I want a panel full of plastic. I obviuously dont. So the difference in repairing and replacing is like $400.

Now the ins will not pay for a new panel. They will only pay for repairing it. This is really making me ANGRY!!!!

Oh and to add to it, I finish up with the accident and get in the truck and start driving. The rear axle is now making a horrible noise. It only like 4 miles home so I take it slow. I take a look at the axle and it looks bent. Upon closer inspection it is bent. I take pictures and so forth. But b/c I need this truck to drive daily I fix it that weekend. I put in a new axle. It cost like $500 total. Not including my labor. I give the ins company the pictures and the receipts. They said they would take care of it also. Well...NO of course not. They told me the old axle had signs of repair filler in it. I said what kind of filler.. They said body filler. I said IN/ON AN AXLE!!! A structural component of the truck.

Now I know they are out to screw me real good. What can I do? It seems like I have no options. OK I did upgrade the axle at the time, to a 14B SF but it only cost 500.00 A repalcement job from a collision shop would cost over 1000.00 with labor and parts.

Any advice on this one.. I am going nuts with dealing with these people. ARRRGHHH!!

Thanks for letting me vent,
    John

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: COLLISION!! Now the other guy\'s ins. is screwing me! Advice?

Call your state insurance commisioner. That's their job. Make sure you have full recipts. For fun call the insurance company and ask them who the state insurance commisoner and your Lawyer should ask for since they are refusing to put the truck back into the condition it was before the wreck. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

sounds to me like its time to get a lawyer. i hope everything works out for you...dealing with insurance is a b!tch!!!

4. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

the only thing i can think of, is on older vehicles (not sure how old, don't remember) you will not get new parts if they need to be replaced. i had a wreck in my 67 chevelle (other guys fault) and they basically went to a junk yard and found a new fender and other pieces, stripped them down and painted, etc. as for you fixing the rearend, i would have talked to my own insurance agent prior to doing that. i'd still pursue it (you might have to go through whoever is going to do the repairs (or who did the estimate), cause any hidden damage can be added to the bill. i know in texas you can get an estimate anywhere (legit), and not their (other guys insurance) place. anyway, you might get stuck paying the difference, but i'd inquire with your agent!!

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Grim-Reaper hit the nail right on the head. You need to make your requests clear to the insurance company then advise them if they do not return your vehicle to the way it was before the accident you will go through the insurance commissioner. What ever you do, dont sign or cash any check. They can have a contract on them stating that by you signing it it is full and final payment and the claim is closed.

good luck

6. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

First off,
    You should not be dealing with the other motorists insurance company., Thats what you pay your insurance co your premiums for.The mess you seem to be in will probably not be resolved quickly or efficently.The best thing that you can do is write a letter to your ins company explaining your position and asking them to resolve it for you(nicely), then remind them that you have been dealing with them for ?? amount of years and would not like to have to take your buisiness elsewhere. Take your truck to a good shop and if the panel is not repairable,( good quality and safe repair) they can ask for a supplement to the claim to repair it properly. I really don't think you will get a new panel out of the deal but you may get a decent used or aftermarket panel if it cannot be repaired. As for the axle being bent,IMO unless you put it back under the truck and tell the shop that it feels bent and please check it out, I think you may be out that 500.00 you spent.
    This happens all the time with ins companies, read up on your rights and educate yourself or you will get screwed.
    If you are going to fight it don't accept any payment until the issue is resolved in your best interest. From what I have seen in the past, if you are a royal PITA they will cave in.
    Just don't lose your temper and be nice when dealing with them.

7. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

Sorry forgot to mention that a good shop will be on your side and can give you alot of help and advise you a little more about your rights in the particular area you're in.
    GOOD LUCK

8. cdh

cdh Registered Member

If you have full coverage on the truck, call your insurance agent and tell him that you want your truck fixed. Your insurance company will pay for the repairs and go after the other guys insurance for reimbursement.

When dealing with insurance companies your are dealing with the scum of the earth, and you have to be a real @#%hole to make things right. If your insurance agent cares about the money that he makes off of your premiums, he will get your truck fixed.

Good luck!!

9. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks to all who replied. Also if anyone has any other info let me know, please.

I have called my ins agent and they are getting in the middle of it. My parents have used them for 35 years and myself for 6. So we'll see how it goes.

John

10. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Looks like you have had some good advice so far. One of the biggest keys (and hardest things to do) is to remain calm with them. Don't get flustered or upset. Be stern and strong but remain calm and in control. If I were you, I would also get in contact with a reputeable attorney. You can usually find a good one that will sit down and consult with you for free. See what they say. If you end up going with an attorney, his fees will also be covered if you win (although he will take some of the settlement). And, in the event of you suing the other guy, his insurance will have to pay any settlements. So, if you speak with an attorney and maybe just get a letter from one, their insurance company may jump on a settlement with you. They would much rather settle with you than to have you bring in an attorney.

Best of luck!

11. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

when my truck is hit in the tailgate, i had a small run around also. It was a hit and run and here is what i had to deal with.

the tailgate was damaged and rear bumper minor.

To replace the gate i would not take a repo. part it had to be GM. the parts that had to be replaced where the gate, bumper, insides of the gate(?) and the brush Alu. strip on the back.

my insurace place told me they would give me salvage prices for all the parts, however i had called all the local yards and know that there was no GOOD rear gates.

They where going to give me $800 - $500 deductable. i got them to $1600 - $500 deductable.

just work at it and you can get more them it would cost to fix you stuff.