Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Colorado Crew a mid June run

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by fred2mihi, Apr 16, 2006.

1. fred2mihi

fred2mihi 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Good day everyone, I would like to suggest a trail run that will hopefully get the guys from the Western Slope and anyone else that might be interested together June 17th to do the trail to Crystal Mill and from the Mill do the trail for Lead King Basin. This a large loop run with some narrow rocky sections, tight turns in places but for the most part not much more than a Moderate trail. Trucks like the "burro'" will have very few problems with Lead King Basin. This trip originates at the community of Marble which is south of Glenwood Springs

Sound off if you are interested! I hope this early notice will give anyone interested time to make work arrangements and the time to plan ahead.

fred2mihi

2. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I will have to see June 20th is the Babys due date. So I may or may not be able to go. I will know as time gets closer.

3. fred2mihi

BO, I hope you can the Crystal Mill is one of the most photographed places in Colorado. What did you say her name is going to be?

fred2mihi

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I am planning on doint the Dunes, the weekend before, or have I got my dates mixed up??? Don't know if I can be gone 2 weekends in a row-the summer "Honey Do" list is starting to grow!!!!!!

5. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Dakota Renee;)

6. fred2mihi

Mike, I'm hoping that Independence Pass will be open and I can sail over to Aspen and then on down to Marble. As I said I'm hoping the West Slope crew will be interested in doing this trip as well as anyone else. If there is no interest then we can forget the proposal, no harm done!
    I wish I could remember better but I think the last time we were there we met Beth at Marble around 9 am and we were back home in BV by Supper time.

7. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

That sounds doable!!! Maybe I can the wife to go on 1 of the easier trails with me.

8. fred2mihi

Oh yeah, cool name. Good luck with the arrival! Hopefully we will run together again later on.

Fred

9. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    sounds like a good run and pretty central location for anybody west of the concrete jungles. Ohhhhhh boss have I got a deal for you!!! I would gladly work 2 days sometime later for one day off now.

Ok guess I should start on some of the honey do's also.

10. 70jimmy

Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
  11. 70jimmy

info on lead king basin

On the trail damage links if you click on the pics on the right side you can see a slide show of several pics of each area!! This might help convince your signifigant other (or yourself) whether you and your rig can handle the trails.

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=43

http://www.4x4trails.net/db_view_trail.php?trailNum=80

Rating: [​IMG]
    Rutted and/or rocky road. No shelves but rocks to 9". Water crossings usually less than hub deep. Passable mud. Grades moderate, up to 15 degrees. Side hill moderate up to 15 degrees. 4WD under most conditions. No width problems, vehicle passing spots frequently available if less than two vehicles wide.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
  12. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I've come to decide that 4x4trails.net ratings are not very good. I like the ratings on traildamage.com because they give a high and low range.

We've done both these trails when my K5 was still on 33's with a 2" add-a-leaf lift. No problems that I remember. I love the Crystal Mill. No wonder it is the most photographed building in Colorado.

13. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Damn guys, I've wanted to go up that trail since I took the family up to Marble a couple years ago. That'll be a month after we have the baby and my Mom will be here for a few weeks. I"ll have to start early on the wife and start wrangling for a hall pass.

14. azblazer

azblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My K5 has been hiding in a shop getting some work done. Should be done before the date of the run so i'll have time to break it in. Keep me posted...

DW

15. fred2mihi

Hey Doug, I was beginning to think no one was interested in going! It's not a hard run but the views are outstanding. If that feller in that cherrry red 70 will just keep it together we should have a good time!!:):) Do you know of any trails around Delta ot Montrose? There is a road heading south from the Cerro Summit that looks interesting! Catch you later dude!

16. TDAWG1

TDAWG1 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Have to make sure but count us in. I have a stock runnin gear will that do? I have six inches of lift on 33's. I will check some more on the ongoings we have but I am very interested keep me posted. I would also do the Delta Montrose stuff. Thanx for da offer by the way

17. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I'll be there if the DQ is running.

18. 70jimmy

Geez, One time when you go you break and dent and cost a few people a few hours of thier life and now nobody wants you along anymore:rolleyes:

Too Freakin bad. I'm going:p: . If I am off of work.

19. azblazer

azblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Fred..i know a few people who know where a few trails are down that way. Stephen or his brother branden know of the same ones i'm sure. I've heard they are buggy trails though.

DW

20. fred2mihi

We are visiting my daughter this weekend in GJ. As I was going to Murdochs yesterday there was this really nice looking, totally rhino lined yellow K5 leaving. Very nice truck. Oh yeah and when we came through Montrose the A&W was having it Friday night car show I just barely noticed a blue tube buggy there! There seem to be a lot more lifted and big tired trucks in this neighborhood. Catch you later.

Fred