Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Colorado Crew; how are the winter projects coming?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by mrk5, Jan 7, 2007.

1. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Just curious what everybody is up to. :ears: I know BigNick is doing a 14bff swap, and Regular-sizeNick is looking for a job.:doah: Bo must be working on finally installing rear shocks.

You can see my project here if you haven't already caught it: http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191862

I have a nice warm shop to work in, but everytime I pull the truck in I've gotta dig it out of the snow. And continously squeegee the melted snow into the floor drains for the first 12-hours. :doah:

Hope to get the crossover and 52s installed next weekend. I'm wondering if James and Nick will be able to get out to help me if we get the usual Thur/Fri snow storm. I should say I'm really hoping they'll be able too. :crazy:

If anyone else wants to come up and hang your more than welcome. Even if you don't lift a wrench, I enjoy the company. :D

So, what are the rest of you doing this winter? Or is it a surprise for the first trail run? :wink1:

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am working on a set of chromo axleshafts for my 10 bolt then some beefy ujoints. Then I need to fix my junk & get my trailer paid off. After that I am hoping to get a few fab projects done on the K5 & the Dodge. The K5 needs a nose job (fully tubing the frontend) and some rear suspension work (springer). The Dodge is going to get a headache rack (aka rollover protections) & maybe some bumpers. I have to start saving more money for my move back to AZ though so I can't get to expensive this winter.

Harley

3. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Mine will be losing nearly all of the body (replaced with a tube chassis/cage tied to the frame whatever you want to call it) and a 4 link in the rear. I have had the tube bent and ready to go for over a year but have been putting it off. Oh yeah, 52's in the front too.

It will still have fenders (skins) and the hood, grill, headlights, etc but will be tapered front and rear.

I haven't really gone too in depth with any of this yet though, so who knows how much of it I will actually have done by the spring :doah:

As soon as any of this is done I will be dreaming of 42's and a doubler :o

4. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

hahaha you funny scott u still coming down in feb

5. mrk5

Harley: I wondered if you'd be moving back to AZ with the job you have now. Who's going to haul all my parts now? :haha: Thanks again BTW. :D

Chris: All I can say is :shocked:. That's pretty intensive. I thought your K5 was your DD. If so, is that still going to be the case?

Erv: I don't know if it'll end up being February or March. Definitely one of the two. My sis is waiting on getting her new house built and it may be that long before it's done. But then again Dad's birthday is in February. The wife and I are still trying to come up with how/when we want to do it. If I have the truck completed enough, I may drive it out and leave it in Delta for some spring trail runs.

6. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

There's been so much snow I haven't been able to wash or wax the DQ. :D

Actually had to put all build plans on hold. Between the vet bills, and Gerri's new car I am plucked. She asked me to put off buying anything for a year.

I had to run up and dry heave a few times. :(

I think I can get away with a used set of 35's because I won't have to reconfigure anything. If you happen to come across reasonable 35x12.5x15's let me know.

I had wanted 37's but that would mean going with the H2's, 14FF, 8 lug swap, and 4.56 regear. I doubt she'll agree to that. I broached the subject last night and I saw the old demon fire in her eye.

RETREAT....RETREAT......:haha:

7. GMCJason

GMCJason 1/2 ton status

This past fall I acquired a 14bff and a Detroit for it and I'm in the process of getting that ready for the Burb. I haven't touched it in about 3 months and now I really can't even get to it without moving the Chevelle out of the garage and there's a monumental pile of snow behind it. When it recedes a bit I'll put the carrier back in and get it over to my buddies house to get the new shock mounts welded on and it installed.

I've also got a stroked small block that needs assembled. I want to get that done so I don't have engine parts all over my garage and then I'll sell it (anyone? :D) so I can move on to the BB for the Burb.

There are, however, a couple of other things going on that have the attention of me and my money so I'm not sure how far I'll get with this stuff.

8. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Nope, the K5 hasn't been my DD for a couple years. I bought a cheap car a while back so I didn't have to be so time crunched when working on the truck, plus the mileage bonus is nice too. I will still keep the truck registered and will still drive it to trails

9. mrk5

Ah okay. You're in the same boat I am. I keep trying to convince B_to_C he needs to get a cheap DD so everything we do on his truck isn't a friggin' emergency. :doah:

10. WRENCH-HEAD

WRENCH-HEAD 1/2 ton status

Well you guys have seen my truck's progress, not so functional, but needed. I need to replace the flexplate, intake gasket, and map sensor. It might be able to hit a trail after that. The tahoe is getting the attention now as it is my DD and needs some tranny help. Since it is a manual I just talked to a guy about a NV 4500. Pick it up at the end of the month, fully rebuilt. At this rate the tahoe will be more trail ready than the truck.

11. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You guys build , we wheel . Snow is good for visiting :wink1:

12. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Don't forget the pretty boys who actually polish their junk. :D

13. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

The only project I have is the shop.:mad: Its too dadgum cold to work on it much, so Hello May! I am still contemplaring a warmed up 292 for the Burro.

14. fred2mihi

fred2mihi 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

None of your d..med business. :):) Maybe when I can start working fulltime again and pile some overtime on my 80 hrs. I will be able to do new shocks, mechanical gauges, 1/2 doors and on and on, it never stops unless there is the lack of funds. I'll let Duane tell his woes but he is making progress. I would like to run RIM ROAD and the Lateral which are 2 trails that run upon to the Uncompahgre Plateau west of Delta and Montrose. Probably a little to much snow up there right now.

fred2mihi

15. Tominator II

Tominator II 1/2 ton status

My Official Rocky Mtn region Intro...

Hello Colorado ck5ers. I just want to introduce myself since I just became a member. I live in Fairplay, have since 94. I built my 77 Jimmy back in 98 when someone gave it to me to haul off. I didn't get a computer til 02 so I built it without this forum but since I went online I have checked in here now and again. Is this the place to check for Colorado area runs? Anyways, since I have been beating on my Jimmy since I first built it up from stock in 98 in the last year or so I had to do a new clutch( it has a 465 to 205) and reseal everything from the trans to the tcase outputs but right now it is all leakfree.
    The engine runs good, it is a Targetmaster 350 4bolt main block that I put a erson RV cam and lifters in and rebuilt heads on after it blew a headgasket when I had it in a different truck.It is Q-jet carbureted. I have a 93 TBI 454 I could put in it but I don't know when I will. My Jimmy also has an Eaton rear axle with 4.56s and a no-spin but I have a Eaton rear 3rd member with 5.14s so I also would like to switch ratios as I went from 36 to 38 inch tires , I don't really have to do that but you have to think about it ,right? So right now I am ready to wheel but I could do some major mods mostly with parts on hand so who knows. Enough already. Later, Tom N

16. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Welcome Tom, always room for one more.

Trail runs are usually posted in the RM Region, at least when everybody's trucks aren't on blocks. cough mrk5 cough.

17. TDAWG1

TDAWG1 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Welcome Tom... And as for my project I need parts and a Bigger Pay Check. Some Axels and Tires 35's Anyone Know where a MOTOR is? TBI a MUST! Can't wait to cya'll laters.

18. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Well I am still messing with the rebuilt motor. I lost interest for a month or so after not being able to take it to blazer bash. But now wer are back and full steam ahead to make this thing run. Evidently the rockers were a little too tight, I broke 3 pushrods. So we shall see what the future brings with the new motor. 350 bored 60 over, competition cams extreme 4X4 cam, rebuilt heads, New lifters, valve springs, and now pushrods. I have new front shocks to bolt on also.

19. mrk5

Tom, this is the place to check for trail runs. Usually the title starts with "Colorado Crew..." We generally like to hit some trails in your area. Old Chinaman's Gulch and China Wall are some usual suspects. I've also been wanting to do Iron Chest and Grizzly Lake.

You are already notorious with us, kinda. We ran into your local four wheelin' club when we did a Colorado Crew run up Twin Cone last year. They said you'd be disappointed you'd missed seeing a bunch of fullsize GM trucks on the trail.

20. mrk5

Laugh it up funny man. The truck moves quite well on its own. Stopping is iffy and it's front wheel drive only, but still!!

I'm writing up your work-list for the weekend, and I had just 1-page double spaced, but now I'm thinking I'll expand that to 2-pages single spaced.
    • polish hub caps
    • wax truck
    • polish chrome door handles
    • polish chrome trim around tail lights
    At least I'm trying to keep in the realm of your experience. :tongue1: :haha: