Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Colorado Crew-some long range wheelin' plans of mine

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by mrk5, Apr 12, 2006.

1. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

There are a couple of trips that I'm taking this summer that I've already taken time off for.

The first is June 10th & 11th. We are camping and wheeling near the Great Sand Dunes National Park.

On the 11th, Sunday, we will run Medano pass which starts in the Park and ends across the mountains on Route 69. Trail info:Medano Pass

We are only planning to camp on Saturday night. The campground in the Park is first-come-first-serve and there is campground in the nearby State Park that takes reservation. We are reserving a spot there. If you all want to camp, you may want to try reserving something soon. I don't know if there is any "wilderness" camping in that area.

Saturday the 10th we are just going to chill around the Park area.

We are heading home after the trail.

If you've never been to the Dunes, you really should check it out. One of my favorite places in Colorado.

The other is July 2nd, Sunday. I plan to run Iron Chest. We are also going to camp somewhere in that area.

My family is big into geocaching and there's a group meeting up there to do a bunch of geocaching that weekend. I'm going to do some wheeling in the middle of the geocaching.

Iron Chest is a difficult trail. I'm getting mixed reports on the trail because it has undergone recent changes. But it sounds like it might be more difficult than OCG. Trail Info: Iron Chest

I don't know where we are going to camp yet. We're going to be scoping that out sometime between now and then. Mike, this would be a good one for you to bring the ambulance.

I'll post up again when it gets closer to the specific events, I just wanted to give you all a heads up on some of my wheelin plans. I'll have a seat available because Nicole will be too pregnant to ride along by then.

I'm going to do other trails, but these are the 2 set in stone. For instance I would like to run Holy Cross in August. I'd also like to hit Twin Cone, Bill Moore Lake, Jenny Creek, and Grizzly Lake this year. Plus some hard-core stuff like Indy, 21 Road, and Carnage as a passenger with Nick once he's got the D60 and 40s installed.

2. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I would like to do Iron chest in July. But we will have to see. Baby Dakota should arrive June 20th So pending when my baby girls comes to the world will tell me if I can go wheeling that day.

3. mrk5

I understand that. Our baby is due Sep 26th, so I've decided I won't be making it to Blazer Bash this year. Not unless the baby is a month early, however unlikely that is.

4. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Hey Scott, if you like Sand Dunes, check out the North Dunes up near Cowdrey. They aren't very big, but they are full access, so you can take the rig on 'em and just let loose. Kinda neat.

I'd love to do the Medano pass too. It looks pretty easy and very neat. Don't know if we could make it, however.

5. mrk5

From the stories I've heard, that place is a mad house with the ATVs. I'll probably make it there eventually, though.

6. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Fixed it.

7. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

:haha::haha::haha::haha:

It's not all that bad. There's plenty of ATV's and such, but never so much as to get in the way.

8. mrk5

Ooooooooooo! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

one for serendipity.

10. cwn anwyn

cwn anwyn 1/2 ton status Premium Member

11. mrk5

Nick would say, "That's funny right there, I don't care who you are."

Git 'r done!!!

12. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I can't do the June 10 and 11, but I will be in Buena Vista for July 1 thru 4 so that one I might do.... As a passenger :doah: I will be in touch for that one.