Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Colorado Crew

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by BLZN4FN, Apr 10, 2006.

1. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Ok lets get another trip lined up. I was thinking in May. I am unable to do anything on the 20,21 But any other weekend is good for me. What are we all thinking and which trail should we conquer this time?

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I wouldn't mind doing something the weekend before the 20/21, I guess that's the 13/14.

What about Twin Cone? I was looking on our way over Kenosha and it looks pretty clear already.

I'll check into some other possibilities. I don't suppose Grizzly Lake would be open by mid-May.

June 11th Dad and I are running Medano Pass out of Great Sand Dunes.

And the July 4th weekend we are planning on Iron Chest. In August I would like to run Holy Cross again.

3. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Depending on the weather. I would like to do some thing other than Twin Cone. not much of a trail. My opinion its a good trail for a notch above stock 4x4 not much of a challange for our rigs. Maybe some else will post some ideas and I will look in the colorado offroad book for other ideas.

4. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

here are some other ideas. Spring creek,kellyflats,carnagecanyon(Boulder)
    Still looking for other trails

5. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I would love to go on a trail ride with you guys. Spring Creek and Carnage are close to me and I would run those anytime. My goal for this year is to start wheeling more in Colorado as I spend too much time wheelin' in Moab. Also plan to run Holy Cross, 21 road, Carnage (in Buena Vista) and maybe even Indy/Patriot :eek1: depending on how the others go. I am ready to go any time.

6. cwn anwyn

cwn anwyn 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm game for any of those runs.:D I do want to run something close here in the next couple of weekends to test out what I've changed. But after that I would like to hit alot of trails. Have to make up for missing out on pretty much the entire wheeling season last year.:D

Z

7. mrk5

I was thinking Spring Creek, Jenny Creek, or Moody/Crystal. If any of those are open.

8. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Let me know about Carnage,21 even indy when you want to run them I'm in

9. mrk5

Once Nick gets the D60 and 40s on his truck we want to run Carnage and Indy, too.

About May, the only trail north of I70 that's open right now is Bald Mountain. Some of those others might be open mid-May.

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Keep me informed of if/when you guys run. I am willing to run things like we just ran all the way to things like Carnage (either), Indy, 21, Billings, etc. I wouldn't mind running Moody/Crystal sometime along with Carnage Boulder. I don't really want to run Spring Creek. I have been on it once already on a rescue mission. I am not a fan of big heights like is the norm on Spring Creek so it is really not something I would choose to run.

Harley

11. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Are you taking the General? or are you going to be the next El Spotto Grande??

12. mrk5

I'm thinking I'll be El Spotto Grande for those. I'd probably run 21Road but definitely not Indy. Maybe Carnage, but only after running the trail once as a passenger to check out the lay of the land.

I have some reasonable confidence in my 1/2ton gear, but not unrealistic expections. :wink1: My one consolation is that I do have a 14bff with 4.56s in the event of a rearend failure.

13. fred2mihi

fred2mihi 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am pretty much out for anything the rest of this month! From my personal point I would prefer to run moderate trails with 1 or 2 difficult thrown in. I gota get home in what I brung. Plus I like to look around once in awhile and not have to work over one obstacle then another right after the last one! Just call me PAPA FRED!!!

14. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

What he said. I guess I'm a semi-grey no beard! I guess part of this situation, is the different "classes" of rigs that we have. I think we need to find some trails that are basically "easy" drives to the difficult sections, with detours around them, for us wimps. Then, us wimps can watch the hard core machines do their thing. I know this could be boring for the guys with really built rigs. I can't afford a tow rig, so I also have to think about getting home at the end of the day.

15. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Fred, just head on up to Nathrop and hang a right. :) There are some great trails back in towards St. Elmo. The trip to the top of Antero has great scenery (though it's probably still snowed in about now), as does the Baldwin Lakes trail. I prefer the trails like those, that actually go somewhere, to the trails that just prove how many parts can be broken. ;)

16. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Whew!!!! I don't feel like such a wuss now!!

I like the idea of trails with rough WIDE sections and with by passes in case you don't want to trash too hard.

17. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Fred, Mike and Duane/Dwayne???, I'd be willing to go on some easy runs with you guys. Twin Cone is a decent, wide trail, very scenic. China Wall (as you know Fred) is pretty decent too. I'll have the new fuel line in tonite or tomorrow, so when you guys wanna do an easier less wreckage trail, I'm in. I just wanna get in the mountains, in the driver seat.:D Maybe we can plan something for the second weekend in May?

Everybody else, I'm pretty open in May. Jenny Creek is probably still snowed in thru late June. What about a trip to CORE?

18. cwn anwyn

cwn anwyn 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'd be up for a CORE run. :D Any of the easy runs. :D And hopefully something the last 2 weekends of this month. I'll be out for any runs the first 2 weekends of May but after that I'm good.

Z

19. mrk5

Part of it is because we screwed up on OCG. We were running the trail backwards.

If we would have turned at the correct place the first time, I think it would have been a little easier on you. 2 of the 4 obstacles we did after you left had bypasses. The Waterfall didn't, but I don't think Nick B. had too much trouble with that. Then there was the V-notch where Nick B. lost his rear driveshaft, but that would have been avoidable too. The Rock Garden and Double Whammy have the bypasses.

Running that trail in the future, after the double whammy I would have had the stock vehicles head back down the way we came up. That would have avoided Nick B's infamous V-Notch catastrophy.

That only leaves the nasty Squeeze that there is no getting around.

Honestly I think a good set of 31" or 33" MTRs would have really helped you and Nick B on that trail.

Live and learn, that's my moto for life.

20. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.