Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Colorado DMV Questions

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by Hossbaby50, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

As some may know I am moving to Colorado in May. I am going to need to register my truck in Colorado. I know that Fort Collins (Larimer County) is an emissions county. What do I need to have to pass emissions? How strict are they? Who does the tests?

Does DMV require that the vehicle be present when you register it? Can you register by mail?

Also can I register my truck in a none emissions county by using someone else's address? My GF's parents live in Durango. Can I register my truck at there address in there county without being present?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Harley

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

3. Hossbaby50

I found that site not to long after I posted this. Thanks

Who has gone threw the emissions test in there K5? What do they test for and how hard is it? Are they really strict?

Harley

4. cwn anwyn

cwn anwyn 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'll be taking mine in at the end of this month for emissions since my tags are up. I'll let you know what I go thru. I'm not sure about using the address from a non emissions county. I used to register my :k5: in Byers(45 miles east of Aurora) and didnt need emissions. But after my family moved into town I no longer had the PO box so I changed to Aurora. Now I just moved to Falcon, near the Springs and I know I'm close to the cut-off line for emissions. Just dont know where it is at. Somewhere near Peyton I believe.:grin: The last time I did emissions they did the visual check under the hood for the AIR pump and hoses. Then slapped the hose to my tailpipe. I still passed and the rig was really running like crap. I'm pretty sure my timing was off and I know my vac lines were screwed up, and my trans was crapping out on me at the time. This time I have it running pretty good and got everything else straightened out so it should be fairly simple. I'll let you know.:waytogo:

5. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Okay Harley.

Dug up my last test sheet from my 1979 C10. If you have to go to Envirotest this is the list of applicable items depending on the year of vehicle. ie, if you had a converter from the factory they will be looking for it.

Emissions
    Evaporative Systems
    Equipment Inspection
    Smoke
    CFC's
    Recall
    OBD Code

For my 79 here are the limits, all are tested for twice at 2500 rpm and idle:

HC PPM - limits 400.0
    CO% - limits 2.0
    CO2% - no limit on my truck
    Evaporative Emssions (gas cap pressure test) inches/H2O - limits 6.0

As far as equipment inspection here is the list they can check for, not all will apply to older vehicles:

Catalytic Converter
    Fuel Filler Restrictor
    Air Injection System
    Oxygen sensor
    Check Engine Light

My results from a doggy 79 with 305 were:

Catalytic - passed
    Fuel Filler - passed
    gas cap - passed
    Air Injection - N/A
    Oxygen sensor - N/A
    Check Engine Light - N/A

HC PPM - 106.1 at 2500 and 56.7 at idle
    CO% - 1.33 at 2500 and 0.01 at idle
    CO2% 13.9545 at 2500 and 12.6404 at idle which were N/A not applicable
    RPM 2629 at 2500 and 827 at idle

It's a lot easier than you think. My 77 K10 has a mild cam 350, edelbrock intake, edelbrock carb, and passed with flying colors. It's also pre-cat.

Hope that helps you.

6. Hossbaby50

I am not real worried about my truck actually passing the motor test, the TPI is really clean. The parts I am worried about is the equipment checks. I think I will be ok, but I will have to extend my tailpipes and stuff so they can get the sniffer tubes on them and also fix my exhaust leak.

Harley

7. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

You do have to have your pipes extended all the way out back behind the rear wheels.

If you do fail the test you'll have a couple weeks to bring it back for a free retest. They only charge you once, 25.00 for 2 years 81 and newer.

Basically you pull into the testing center, there are multiple bays. You hand over your registration or resident renewal card and they direct you to a central hall/seating area with large windows. You can watch the process from either side. They'll do the visual checks, then pull it up to the dyno roller where they hook up the testing equipment. They do the rpm and idle tests twice to get a median result. I saw them test a guy's van 8 times trying to get it passed. At the end of the line they check the gas cap. You pay right there and get a copy of the test to bring in to the DMV, no window stickers.

Pretty laid back operation. If I missed something CO guys chime in.

8. Hossbaby50

My exhaust pipes are cut off right at my spring hangers. I had them turned out behind the wheels but kept trashing them on rocks so I cut them off. I will have to extend them out the back to get the testing tubes on them.

The process sounds very similar to the AZ setup I have passed before.

Harley

9. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

With Weld county (the one Greeley's in) the emission testing is by municipality. The Greeley community does it. I actually live in Ault 12miles north of Greeley and I don't have to do emissions. One of our employees used to register his cars at his parents farm address to avoid emissions. Technically, if you drive regularly or work in a town that requires emissions; you are supposed to do the testing even if you live somewhere it's not required. However, I've never known anyone to have a problem.

I run around with turndowns just after the mufflers and have never been harrassed, but I don't drive the blazer but once every 2 weeks. My old '75 never had any problems passing.

10. jeffer

jeffer 1/2 ton status

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Larimer County only requires the basic test (no dyno.) I wouldn't worry too much about the tailpipe either. My Landcruiser tailpipe had rusted at the seam and split down the length of it about 18" or so. It passed the e-test and visual inspection no problem at an enhanced testing center.