Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Colorado Emisions- cant run 35inch tires on the dyno?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DUKE, Nov 4, 2002.

1. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

I was talking to a friend of mine about getting emssions in denver and this is what he said

" I went to the Colorado emmisions page and there may be a problem with the
    size of tire the blazer has. It looks like vehicles made after 82 must be run on
    the dyno, and they limit the tire size to 34". I guess there is a lawsuit
    because somebody truck jumped off the dyno, and they blamed it on the oversized
    tires."

the idea was I could get some junkyard wheels and tires, but dont have much
    time to mess with it.

I never heard of such a thing. Is this new, is there anyway to get around it, other than gettin tiny tires for it?

2. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

thats really stupid.

3. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    is there anyway to get around it, other than gettin tiny tires for it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes there is, move to Texas!!! So far I havent even had to bother with a visual emission inspection.

4. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I heard the samething from a guy at work, He had to go and put on smaller tires,

Eric

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Tell them you put in a np203 x-fer case. It is a full-time case and they don't (cant) have to be put on the dyno (at least not here in CA).

6. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

better idea.. move to Oklahoma... we dont have emissions testing or inspections here... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. NetBlazer

NetBlazer Registered Member

NP203 excuse won't do a thing for you....unfortunately, here in CO they can and do use 4 wheel dynos for the emissions testing. I also have an Audi with quattro and it gets tested on the 4 wheel dyno.

As to the problem with large tires and emissions testing, I just heard this from a friend this weekend. He has 35" on his truck and they told him they won't test anything with tires larger than 34". He is going back today to speak with "someone higher up" /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif to see if they can work something out. If not he may have to mount up the old set of 31's I have in my garage.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

8. NetBlazer

NetBlazer Registered Member

Re: Colorado Emisions- cant run 35inch tires on the dyno? UPDATE

My friend just got in from the emissions place, he talked with the manager and he was really hesitant to test it with the 35's on it. After much discussion the guy finally relented and told him he would test it is it was but they would not take any responsibility if something happened. Aparrently the concern is that with the larger tires, they don't fit quite right on the dyno rollers and could grab the sides, tearing up the tires and possibly working the truck out of the dyno /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif In short, they are not supposed to test anything with tires larger than 34" but you might get the manager to do it if you plead......

Edit:
    Here's the exact wording from the CO emissions test site:
    Non-Standard Tire Sizes
    Tires larger than 34 inches cannot be tested on the dynamometer for safety reasons. Nonstandard (not manufacturer-equipped) oversized tires will need to be replaced with standard-size tires for your vehicle in order to be tested on the dyne. This does not apply to 1981 and older vehicles, which are not tested on the dyne. Vehicles with non-standard tires of over 34 inches will be rejected from testing.

So I guess that means the 35" tires that come stock on the new H2 are fine on the dyno, but the 35's we put on aftermarket cause a problem /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Personally, I'll be keeping an extra set of little tires around for smog day.

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

WOW! It looks like they are more :rainbow: about it than CA.

Sorry to hear you have the same type of morons running the place that we do.

10. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

what about the 37's on the new H1's?
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

11. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

tell him your tires measure an actual of 34.2 inches. i dont know if it is true to your tires or not but he wont know unless he actually measures them. also run them a bit over inflated. it will help. if i owned a dyno i would tell folks the same thing. tires to big, go away. some special dynos can handle big tires. but moste run-of-the-mill dynos cant. barter with them untill they do it. you can get them to. unless you are running boggers or the like, i would never try them on a dyno.
    grant

PS, move to AZ, but not in the PHX or TUC areas... no emissions then

12. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I find it funny that they would let a 33x14.50 on the dyno but not a 35x12.50 From what I read so far it the how tall the tires are not how wide..Just another reason to move North

Eric